Wet Carpet in my Basement

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vlad the Impaler, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

hello everyone

I just noticed in my townhouse that a section of the carpet in the basement is wet! There is no water from the ceiling and it is not pee from the cat. I have no idea where it is coming from.. Does anybody here have any idea?? Thanks for reading.

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Possibly seeping in from underground. Do you have a sump pump? And is it working?

3. Vlad the Impaler

thanks for replying GT.. I dont even know what a sump pump is.. so it is safe to say that I don't have one.. can you enlighten me??

4. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Please provide some more details. Type of house, type of carpet, location of house (at bottom of hill, in a depressed area compared to the rest of the area, etc.), age of house, how long have you lived there, credit card number expiration date and personal id number ;)

Wraith

5. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Are there any sources of water on the floor above? Sink, toilet, dishwasher, fridge w/icemaker, bathtub/shower, hot water tank? Leaks can migrate to the floor below without leaving evidence on the ceiling.

6. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Sump pump is a small submersible pump that sits in a hole and energizes and pumps out water that collects in it's hole. Keeps the underground water level below floor level. Should be in a furnace or utility room under a removable plate. If you're in a flat or depresses area, you likely have one, although maybe not.

Leaks from upstairs are possible too. May take a bit of detective work. Is the wet spot near a wall or out in the open surrounded by dry?

7. Vlad the Impaler

The wet spot is next to a wall. On the other side of the wall is a closet whete the furnace is. I inspected the closet and nothing is wet inside the closet. Perhaps a leaky pipe in the wall? Well looks like I'll be making some calls in the morning.

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Could it be caused by condensation, e.g., wet rot?

9. Vlad the Impaler

I haven't been having tons of rain but a thundershower every day isn't unusual here in Virginia. The thing is, there was a hurricane a while ago and this didn't happen.. so not sure what's going on.

10. Shiver Me Timbers

Shiver Me Timbers MajorGeek

Is it near your washer hook up, laundry tub or hot water tank?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds