i think the driver for the sound is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gillybabeuk, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

I bought some speakers to plug in my pc but still can't get ant sound from it.
    i have tried all the correct colours for the plugs no sound i am running xp home ed windows with sv pk 3 2002, i have tried all sound settings on skype no luck please can u help me. in the windows audio controller it says no driver installed:

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Do you see any marks in the device manager section?
    Have you had sound before?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    First, the speakers should plug in to the green port on the back of your PC. If you're using the on-board sound, this plug would be in the same panel as the mouse and keyboard connections. If you're using a sound card, the speaker jack will be further down on the back of the PC. Buggabear has some good questions: did you ever have sound? do other Windows sounds work, like the start-up and shut-down music? what about going to the Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices; do the sounds under the 'Sounds' tab play? what is shown under the 'Audio' tab? it should look like the screen shot I attached below, but if you don't have Realtek audio, something else will be listed, but the point is that nothing here should be greyed out..... an Everest report would help too:

Attached Files:

4. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

Hi thanks for info and yes i did have sound before, i will do as you suggested and get back to you, thanyou gill

5. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

Hi Its gillybabeuk I am trying to send the report from everest for my pc
    but the file is too large to send, is there a particular page that you want to look at? please let me know Thanks Gill:confused

6. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

right click on the file >click send to> compress zip> now try to upload it..

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

What type of computer is this, do you know, so we can look it up and see what sound card it is?

Then we can uninstall existing drivers and reinstall new drivers, a common problem with Realtek sound cards, if you have that.

8. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

Hi thanks for telling me how to use zip files i have now uploaded report
    thanks for your time to help me. gilly

Attached Files:

9. Major Attitude

10. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Major got it for you

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  11. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

Hi its Gill again i am still having a problem with this sound, i have downloaded the files but there are two lots which one is it 7018_119 or a12112d and then what do i do with it? i have tried to reinstall driver but when i click on files it says ALCXWDM.SYS realtekAc97 audio driver disc is needed if you can help please thanks Gill

12. Major Attitude

7012 is the correct choice, you have a choice of 7012 (your sound card) or 7018. Page should read this when you download:

SiS7012 Audio Driver
    File Name a12112d.zip
    Version v 1.12d
    Release Date 2005-06-09

If that fails, try the Realtek driver:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html

13. Gillybabeuk

Gillybabeuk Private E-2

Hi a few weeks ago I asked for some help with drivers for pc i was sent by yourselves a download for a driver when I ran the software for it my pc screen went blue with a load of stuff told me i had a critical error, so i am still at a loss how to repair it, can u help me im going round the twist with it. thanks Gill

14. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I did some research (it wasn't easy LOL ) and I have a really good feeling that that even though the Everest report says you have an SiS7012 audio chip, it's wrong. I think that that because the primary chipset is SiS, Everest is reading the audio codec from the SiS chipset and not the actual audio chip itself, which appears to be the SigmaTel CMajor AC97. You can download the driver from this link.

Let us know how it goes! :-D

[dlb]

15. Major Attitude

AC97 is AC97 so Sigmatel is simply another Realtek rebadge. Also, you are replying for no reason since he has not written back. Finally, I would prefer suicide over sending someone to Packard Bell. Thanks for playing!

Gilly, start a new thread.

Next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds