JV16 Powertools 1.4 Final now shareware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ken3, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

FYI. Subject says it all.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

But the star performer of the line, the stand-alone RegCleaner 4.3, itself a wonderful set of tools, is still available for downlaod and free use. That will probably not be the case for long, though.

For now, you can still snag a copy of RegCleaner 4.3 through MG. Look in the Registry Tools section, and don't try the download link to "Author." The other two links still have it, but if you go to "Author," you get to the (now) shareware (only) site.

If you've never tried RegCleaner 4.3, and don't want to pay for jv16PT, grab RC43 while you still can.

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

well it would now seam that JV is going to become very wealthy.I have been using his tools for well over a year.If anybody deserves success he does and i wish him all the very best:)

4. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I agree. It's a great set of tools, and he deserves to make a good living off them.:)

5. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI, It has been for more than a year as he was called up and in the Finnish army for a while. It seems to me that it must be 3 or 4 years at least since he first started with Reg.cleaner and yes he does deserve it. Peace Mal

6. Wisewiz

Yeah, I wish him well, too. I hope nobody construes my suggestion above about RegCleaner 4.3 as an attack on JV or his right to make money on a damned-fine set of sware.

But anybody who (1) can't spare $30 just now and (2) wants the very finest in reg-related utilities (with a LOT of other things under Tools in the menu bar, as well) can't go wrong if he snags a copy of JV's freeware RegCleaner 4.3. It rocks.

7. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Can you make the link visible to the JV 16 powertools? I'd like to download the freeware version of RegCleaner 4.3. Thankyou.

8. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Is version 1.3.0.196 still around somewhere?? I have it installed but didn't keep the setup file :( Could I just save the directory it's in into a zip file and and unzip to re-install?

9. Wisewiz

Ken,

You can't go wrong with a new install of 4.30.780, if you can still get it. It's a purrrfect little program, and considerably improved over its ancestors.

I haven't seen a source for the legacy versions anywhere.

10. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Wisewiz,

Oh, I've got version 4.3 too, I was wondering about the JVPT earlier version. No big deal.

Thanks

11. Wisewiz

Ken,

I think MaceCraft has been very thorough with cleaning up old copies from the various sources. I tried NoNags and a lot of other freeware sources a day after I found out about the shareware version, and all of the places I tried had descriptions of the old jv16 freeware still, but the links all took you straight to the shareware. It took a while for all of the sites to update their descriptions or remove it from their freeware listings.

If anyone finds a (checked!) current source for the old freeware version we know and love, I hope he/she will let us all know here. I'd like to file a copy, too.

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Guess you didnt look hard enough :) Try Majorgeeks.com.

13. Wisewiz

Well, dang me, dang me, go and get a rope and hang me! My favourite software source, and I didn't even notice!

Why, I must be ALMOST as embarrassed today as our forum colleagues who told us a while back that they never used any of the Windows critical updates for their XP machines. Holy Remote Procedure Calls, Batman! Major problems lurk in the shadows on THAT path!

14. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Well, that's version 1.4 beta, short of downloading it and using it for awhile, I believe that has an expiration date or limited time period prior to the final version (?). I'm referring to version 1.3.

15. Major Attitude

30 days, ill pm robo, he said he has it and see about posting here. I also told him he can post the file link here so anyone whos in a hurry can get it as soon as possible. We'll get it resolved.

16. Major Attitude

17. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I have used this tool so much I believe I will go ahead and get the pay version. I totally agree this is worth paying for.

18. webbyboyz

webbyboyz Private E-2

is it worht the "upgrade" from 1.3 to 1.4?
    i am having 1.3 now..

19. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

No problem with removing my post MA.

Robo - I have no problem with shareware, but if I can use a freeware version and am happy with it, I'll stay with it. :) I'm on a budget, so I'll go with good quality freeware as much as I can.

20. webbyboyz

webbyboyz Private E-2

do u noe the major diff in 1.4?
    coz i am thinking of buying it..

21. webbyboyz

webbyboyz Private E-2

major bug?

22. Lonny

Lonny Private E-2

"The program is well worth the few bucks to upgrade, but if you wish to keep the free version, stick with http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1680..."

Thats a buggy version , I cant recall the whole story but
    file size was imcreased then when the rc's came out reduced at each improvement(several 1.3.0.196 versions) then they started showing the RC in the help about then later the timelimit atarted
    I have jv16PowerTools 1.3(1.3.0.196)
    2.276 kb
    the one you offer is 2,244kb correct ? and show on webpage as
    2.1 Mb
    If its legal and since Major geeks recomends going for the full version if people can afford it,,

I could submit if you like ?
    if so how

Lonny

23. Major Attitude

Odd, email it to me tim@

Thanks

24. Lonny

Lonny Private E-2

My version expired,, did the one here at majorgeeks to,, I see it's not available for download,,, I wonder if you could find vesion
    JV16 PowerTools 1-3.0-195. I see it elsewhere and have downloaded it,,
    but am afraid to install :)

Lonny

25. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

i have that version which doesnt expire on JAN 1ST 2004 and it works just fine however i dont know if i can share it or not

26. Wisewiz

Would you please check the About and tell us FOR SURE what exact version number that is, and confirm that it's jv16PowerTools, NOT RegCleaner? Thanks.

I have recently heard directly from Macecraft about a (possible-probable-planned-I dunno) deal for owners of a license for RegSupreme who plan or want to buy the full shareware jv16PowerTools now that the freeware jv16PowerTools has expired. Before I say anything on the forum about that, I'd like to get the facts confirmed on what you've got there.

Thanks for the help.

27. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

hi wizewiz
    its definitely 1-3.0-195
    and yes its the full power tools
    installer 2.12mb do you want me to rar it up and e-mail to you

28. Wisewiz

That's a very kind offer, General, but I think I'm going to go ahead and go for the newer version (the latest shareware version). Here's my thinking on this:

The 195 version had some fairly serious bugs in it.
    (There may have been more than one 195 -- seems there was more than one file available that was called version 196, so there may have been more than one 195 while Jouni Vuorio worked on the bugs -- I'm not sure.)
    Some of the 195 bugs were eliminated in 196. More were eliminated by the time of the first (shareware) release of jv16PT 1.4. But the first shareware version of jv16PT definitely did NOT contain the RegSupreme engine.

Macecraft (see below) now tells me that the latest release of jv16PT (1.4.1.248 is the number on the Macecraft site as of today -- 10 Jan 04) INCLUDES the RegSupreme engine.

Here's the relevant info, quoted directly from the Macecraft archives:
    "September 15, 2003.
    Macecraft Software released today its latest product, RegSupreme ...
    Note to the users of jv16 PowerTools: The technology from RegSupreme will be included to jv16 PowerTools and it will be a free update for the registered users of jv16 PowerTools 1.4. Also, you can use the RegSupreme under the same license as jv16 PowerTools 1.4, just copy your license (License.dat) to RegSupreme's Data folder and you'll also have a full version of RegSupreme." (Italics added by Ww.)

This is a clear statement that the original jv16PT 1.4 did not yet include RegSupreme, and that users were invited to ADD a copy of RegSupreme (for the time being) to their copies of jv16PT.
    Now the important announcement from the Macecraft archives:
    "Dec. 10, 2003 - jv16 PowerTools 1.4.1 [update] released.
    ... This update contains many improvements and a few small fixes.
    Firstly, this version contains the new advanced registry cleaning engine from RegSupreme. However, the jv16 PowerTools 1.4.1's [version of the RegSupreme] registry cleaner has some features RegSupreme doesn't, for example the ability to show ignored entries and to ignore entries right from the program. Also, the 1.4.1's registry cleaner can be fully used from the command line and it also allows you to ignore the entries that would be automatically recreated after removal (so called MRU entries)."

My letter from Macecraft tells me this (letter to me from Leo Wartinen, Macecraft; return address "sales@macecraft.com"):
    "If you are a RegSupreme license owner and you wish to buy a license for Powertools, we can give you a full refund for the RegSupreme's license. After this you can place a new order for the Powertools license."

I think I'd be wise to take them up on this offer and go for the latest version of the complete jv16PT, now that Macecraft says
    (1) that RegSupreme is now included in the PowerTools, and
    (2) that the version of RegSupreme that's now in the PowerTools is an improved version of RegSupreme, and
    (3) it's only going to cost me a small amount to upgrade from my RegSupreme license to the jv16PT 1.4.1.248+ license.

Sorry that was so long, but I've been an outspoken advocate of Jouni Vuorio's software here, and I want to be as clear as I can be about it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds