win7, sp1, usb ports not recognized

Discussion in 'Software' started by yodel99, Jun 4, 2011.

1. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

Hi!
    running win7 and i allowed windows update to install sp1 the other day... only just realized now that computer will not recognize either fantom storage drive, any usb sticks, nor does it show in explorer the 4 built-in (sd,produo,sm,cf). Computer does recognize my usb wireless adapter, and it does recognize the usb keyboard... in device manager, a yellow ! shows on mass storage device... when i ran update driver, it said it was up to date already... tried uninstalling, and then plugging the device, and it still failed to successfully install... the only clue I can find is in mass storage prop status = not config correctly, driver is not intended for this platform.... again if I 'update driver' it says its already ok... prior to sp1 load, all was fine, I am running majorgeeks gauntlet of malware tools, SAS, comodo, spybot, spyblast and avast... any ideas? many thanks, yodel99

2. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

To share with all:
    Tried all the following which did NOT work; ran sfc, unplugged pc, found usbstor.sys and .inf and replaced with new, and deleted, tried several 'driver' troubleshooting programs to diagnose all said usb was fine, ran internal dell low level diag (said all usb ok)....

Finally found something that DID work.... system restore prior to win 7 sp1 install !!
    Hope this helps someone. Thx

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

So you are now back with W7 with no SP as in SP1? and all is ok?

What I would try is to see if your PC hardware, as in motherboard has updates to BIOS, USB, Chipset etc as one of those could be the cause of USB not working post SP1 install, as running a Windows version without the latest SP is a security issue, or maybe later on.

Its likely you needed to re-install the Chipset to get USB working again, but you'd need to run the SP1 install again to find out what devices in Device Manager are listed with a yellow ! mark or to troubleshoot further as USB not working in Windows 7 SP1 is likely to be a PC or Hardware specific issue and not a widespread one.

4. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

The pc in question is a dell inspiron 580, win 7, 64 bit, premium... bought Jan 2011... went to dell and found 2 chipset updates and 1 bios update.... installed the chipsets ok... but the bios update (i580-a07) was halted by comodo as being suspicious... so, with only the chipset updates, re-installed sp1 and got same usb issues... in dev manager, there are 2 generic usb hubs ok, 2 usb root hubs ok, 2 usb enhanced controllers ok, and 1 usb mass storage driver faulted... the fault message says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"... when I try to update the driver, it reports back that it is up to date... since MG only recently helped me through a nasty virus issue, i'd like more confidence about running the bios update from the dell site... since i did not pay the extra to dell for sw warranty and the keyboard usb works they are not offering free assistance with this.... please let me know if there are ideas on how to check bios update purity... I will report back what i find... thanks, yodel99

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Dell BIOS updates are often to enable (sometimes to disable) extra hardware features or allow more recent Dell hardware to be installed (to save the need to 'hack' the installers). The process beginss from within Windows and, providing you have a safe power connection (preferably with a UPS that can keep the computer up for 15-20 minutes), or it's laptop with a good battery life and running from the power brick, you should be safe to update.

Disconnect from the Internet, disable all security software, as you should when installing a major Service Pack too, and keep your fingers crossed.

Once updated, check Windows Update for anything related to prerequisites for SP1 and any reliability updates.

The old Dell support forum used to be populated by some very experienced users who could give incredibly detailed descriptions of some of the Dell specific BIOSes and firmwares, methods of hacking Dell drivers to install specific cards in the 'wrong' laptops, etc. The new forum, I'm not sure on, but I'd visit there any way to find out more details about that BIOS. When was it released?

6. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

Hi, re-installed sp1 with same results.. no usb mass storage working... turned off firewall and ran i580-a07, and it said my current bios was same... would not give choice to re-install... currently trying to speak with someone at dell and troll win7 specific forums.... will keep you posted. thx yodel99

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds