Forcing IE not to save password?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RexNoctis, Jan 9, 2007.

1. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Hi all,

Is it possible to write a HTML form in such a way that it will force IE to forget the password and/or not offer to save it?

We have a web access to one of the clinical systems at the hospital where I work. Each user has a domain logon to the network, so having IE save passwords is not a huge security problem. The problem comes when the passwords expire and the user changes it. They don't get the fact that they have to change the saved password at least once!

This really came to a head when the software company rolled back the user database by accident during a server move/upgrade. We received about 500 password reset requests over 3 days, then had to explain to about half of them that the password does not change automatically. rolleyes (By the end I really wanted to scream at some of them! What would be the point in having a bloody password!)

</rant>

Sorry :)

Any ideas?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

put this attribute in the text control tag
    AUTOCOMPLETE="OFF"

3. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

That simple!?

I googled for ages, didn't see anything like that. I'll try it as soon as I give up with my soldering iron :)

Cheers Kodo!

4. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Excellent, works perfectly.

Passwords that are already saved aren't lost suddenly so we won't get another huge rush of people who can't remember them.

Best bit is, it doesn't work with Firefox so my password will still be saved :)

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds