No boot after freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SgtRon, Feb 23, 2008.

1. SgtRon

SgtRon Private First Class

Well, there I was, in the middle of downloading the latest update to AVG Anti-Spyware when everything froze. No cursor movement, no nothing. Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing (not even a menu). Finally tried to do a manual restart from the switch on the front of the computer. Only thing produced was the mobo's flash screen, which I don't see on a normal boot. Nothing else. Tried letting the machine rest for a few minutes before turning it on again. Same result. Hope someone can give me an idea of where to go from here.

Built the machine 3 years ago. ASUS K8V mobo, 1.5 GB of RAM, 160 GB SATA HDD (Seagate) running XP with all the service packs. 450W Pwr supply.
    Thanks in advance.
    SgtRon

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Can you get into your Bios and set to boot from your XP CD and perform a 'Repair' if not try resetting the Bios by using the CMOS Jumper moving from 1 to 2, of course when unplugged and you have earthed your self. If you are unsure of this, post back but I assume since you built it yourself you will be familiar will all precautions. ;)

3. SgtRon

Thanks for the response. Haven't tried to do a "repair" from the CD yet. Wanted to see what some of the guys had to say first. Removed the battery to reset the CMOS. Replaced it after about an hour, but no change. Will stick the XP CD in tomorrow morning and see what happens.

4. SgtRon

Ok, all is now well with my machine. Have no idea what the problem was, but decided to see how long it would sit there with that mobo flash screen displayed. After 15 or 20 minutes it just jumped into the normal bootup. Had to reset some settings in the BIOS, since I'd removed the battery, but everything else went off with out a hitch. I guess it's like I used to facetiously tell my Electronics Fundamentals students: this is all magic, no one really understands it, and one day it'll all go away and leave us stranded back in the dark ages! :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds