Microsoft UAA bus driver for HD audio - can't delete it

Discussion in 'Software' started by Finbar, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finbar

Finbar Private E-2

Hi.

None of my audio inputs are enabled, they're all greyed out, but the output works fine.
    Built the PC a few months ago, but just got round to using LINE IN.

Windows XP SP2 (rolled back from SP3)
    GigaByte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard (on-board sound)
    Latest Realtek driver downloaded

Tried the following:

In 'System Devices', disabled then deleted MS UAA bus driver for HD audio.
    Uninstalled Realtek driver.
    Rebooted, only to find the MS UAA had reinstalled itself without asking.

Repeated the above a few times in 'Safe Mode', exactly the same outcome.
    (at some point, I rolled back to SP2).

Uninstalled KB888111, and also deleted this folder from the registry (followed by a registry clean).

I know a number of people have had success following the above procedure, but I just can't get rid of the Microsoft driver. There must still be something left over that keeps resurrecting this file, or I'm missing a vital operation?

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try this (use the screen shot below for more details):
    1. Open My Computer, browse to C:\WINDOWS
    2. Click Tools up at the top.
    3. Click Folder Options.
    4. Click the View tab.
    5. Look at the screen shot below, and make the selections as they appear in the screen shot.
    Click Apply, click OK, and you should notice a bunch of folders named $NtUninstallKB123456$. Find KB888111, open it, and run spuninst.exe.

Let us know how it goes!

Attached Files:

3. Finbar

Finbar Private E-2

Hi.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I've checked the hidden files, and there's no sign of KB888111.
    Having already had an attempt at deleting this file through 'Add/Remove Programs' and also deleting the registry entry, would you still expect to see it in the Windows folder?

As I've had many attempt, which may not have been in the correct order, would it be best to reinstall SP3/KB888111, and start again?

If at all helpfull, I have attached my Everest report.

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I would go with SP2 and then install KB888111 and start over from there. KB888111 and SP3 don't get along real well...

5. Finbar

Finbar Private E-2

Hi.

I downloaded the kb888111 zip file via Microsoft. The unzipped file contains 24 folders for every language except English - Am I missing something?

MS Quote:
    "Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the feature is available. If you do not see your language, it is because the feature is not available for that language"

My search lead me to the web page below. Was this the right place to start?
    It also include some warnings from Microsoft, which had me a little worried.

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=888111&kbln=en-us#step1

6. x_ponent

x_ponent Private E-2

Go to device manager and open the Device Properties, and then Driver properties. It will tell you which driver is being used. Delete that and restart.

Hope this helps.

7. Finbar

Finbar Private E-2

Device Manager in XP isn't structured in the manner you suggest, perhaps you're thinking of Vista?
    Anyway, we seem to be slightly off track.

I've already been down the route of deleting the MS DAA HD audio driver and the Realtek driver. Everytime I reboot, the Microsoft audio driver is automatically reinstalled without my consent. I am trying to prevent this happening, and it seems to be tied to kb888111 (as far as I can tell).
    Problem is, I thought I had removed every trace of this file. The question was, should it be reinstalled?
    Not actually sure if I'm actually going to achieve anything as I seem to be going around in circles.

As a reminder, the initial problem lies with inoperative audio IN, audio OUT works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds