Instant messaging

Discussion in 'Software' started by kahless, May 9, 2003.

1. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

I am looking for a good (in-house) instant messaging program to use on our 192.168.?.? lan. Any ideas?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

free one? or no preference?

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

Last edited: May 9, 2003
  4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

6. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

I do not have a preferance as far as monitary, however we have several hundred users and i would rathere not have to pay per person if you know what i mean.I do not think My budget could take that kind of hit this quarter.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, you can do this, but it doesn' t retain a conversation history. it's a one for one shot.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

maybe you don't.. but I, and I'm sure many others do, like to have a live history of the conversation. i.e. be able to scroll up to re-read things..

9. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

what about winpopup?

10. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

11. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

The only problem with the windows messaging that was mentioned above is we have to route it thru an adtran(ie from a 192.168.1.? to a 192.168.101.? and so on) also we have a variety of operating systems from here in eugene to cottage grove to junction city. Win95,98,linux,xp home, and xp pro.We also have a few that are completly mobile and use two seperate networks they utilize for connection. Also the windows messaging does not communicate well thru a truly IP based network utilizing three seperate servers. 2 novell and one exchange.

I will investigate winpopup and will let you know the results, please keep the suggestions coming!!
    Thanks

12. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Jabber for sure, I believe by default it is encrypted (I think, last time I read about Jabber was a long time ago...) and their are clients for Windows, *N?X, etc. You can also perhaps use Gaim with a special plugin for 448 bit encryption

Atleast I think this is what you are asking for =)

EDIT: Just so you know, Jabber is a protocol and Gaim is software that supports many protocols and plugins...

13. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

thanks for the info i will lokk into it thanks

14. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

umm, you can use the messenger service, i belive there are programs like winpopup which intercept the messages and make a log. Problem comes when youve turned off messenger service.

I have only ever used somthing called....ummm.... sorry cant remember :$

Sonork! thats it. uses http encryped, but you do need a server!

15. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ah i see, so its like that is it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds