Camera/USB ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeN, Dec 31, 2006.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY !

Question - Can I "hot swap" the USB patch cable that goes from the digital camera to the USB port in the back of the tower with the computer turned "on" or should I have the computer turned "off", I will be leaving the cable plugged into the tower and plugging the camera in as needed - Win. 98SE with a Kodak C875 camera

Thanks

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Hot Swap of USB should be fine
    If you experiance Boot problems you might have to unplug the USB cable from your tower

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I leave my camera USB plugged in all the time and have had no problems, not even on re-boot. (Crosses fingers and knocks on wood):)

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

With any USB Device, you should "Disconnect" it first, by using the Disconnect Icon in the Taskbar. You can also Right Click on it.

5. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks guys, but I don't think I made myself clear, I will be leaving the USB cable plugged into the tower (no problems on boot ), just wasn't sure if I could plug or unplug the camera end of the cable form the camera with the computer turned on ???

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes you can unplug a digital camera with no problem from the cable, while the machine is on.

7. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks Brownizs, that will make things much easier :)

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I do such at my office without problem. We have a cheap Kodak 3MP we use to document freight damages. I just make sure the cam is powered off before unplugging the cable from it.

9. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

TheDoug - THANKS for the added input - help is always appreciated !!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds