IE and java

Discussion in 'Software' started by morlok, Apr 26, 2003.

1. morlok

morlok Private E-2

IE and java
    I took the opportunity (goaded by the fact that The Great Satan of S/W stopped supporting it ;-) to upgrade from IE 5.01 to 5.5 SP1.
    There seems to be some strange interactio with Java that makes it unusable with some apps.
    When navigating down a page, some buttons won't work. When I mouse over the button, the status bar displays a message like:

java_script_xxx (stuff)

but when you click on it, nuthin' happens, and there is a 'error on page' message. This happens in several apps.
    WHat happened between 5.01 and 5.5? The best I can think of is a configuration parameter got changed somwhere back to a default setting.

BTW, I upgraded to java 1.4.1_02 when it came out awhile back, well before the IE upgrade.

2. teabag

teabag Private E-2

May have something to do with MS no longer including java(some sort of legal thing between then and Sun) they now have MS virtual machine so your buttons may not work as there is no java to call on. Sorry can't be more precise
    :(

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Like he said MS doesn't supply java virtual machine anymore. Which means no java applet will work for you. To fix the problem you have two choices, try and find a download for MS javavirtual machine and install it. MS will still provide updates for it on windows update, all you have to do is get some version of it on your comp and you'll be fine.

Your other option is to simply install Sun's version. You can download it from http://java.sun.com/getjava/

Of course despite that this is made by sun and not MS so far i've found Sun's version to really suck. In most cases it tends to be WAY slower then getting MS Java virtual Machine but if you are really stuck it does work. It's just typically slower.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok guys, java has nothing to do with javascript.

If you cannot view javascript, then most likely the scripting engine in Windows is fubared. The major file for javascript is jscript.dll.

Javascript is a code like html designed by, I believe, Netscape.

Java is 110% unrelated.

try this:

start-run

regsvr32.exe jscript.dll

click ok.

Should succeed. Click ok.

Test results.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2003
  5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

oh oops, I read the first post wrong. I do know javascript and java are separate. Although saying they are 110% diffrent is quite the push. I mean java script is called java script because of java but it is of course a tottally diffrent thing from java but there is some form of relation.

6. morlok

morlok Private E-2

<snip>
    try this:

start-run

regsvr32.exe jscript.dll

click ok.

Should succeed. Click ok.

Test results.
    <snip>

regsrv32 jscript.dll succeeded.
    However, no go on the functionality.
    I do note that it no longer produces the 'error on page' message when I click on the button.
    I'll play some more, but the next stop might be re-installing windoze.

OK, this is what I've found:
    <snip>
    works on:
    javascript:document.cs1.submit() note:no args inside parens
    fails on:
    javascript:next_page(stuff)
    javascript:cov_change_settings() note:no args inside parens
    javascript:cov_openchoices(stuff)
    <snip>

Last edited: Apr 27, 2003
  7. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Maybe you have disabled Javascript through the security tab in Internet Options.

8. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>Maybe you have disabled Javascript through the security tab in Internet Options.

OK, I did some further research (I used the machine awhile longer, and some error messages popped up ;-)
    Hmmmm... I can't seem to attach 2 images.
    The first one says:
    Java Plug-in 1.4.1_2 not installed properly.

Which is strange, since I've now installed and removed it about 5 times.
    Just what is it colliding with?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  9. morlok

morlok Private E-2

BTW, I tried the CLI command to register jave (or whatever, I got a success message:

Attached Files:

10. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Try a different browser. Opera does a good job mimicing IE. That would be what I'd try. Next, see if Mozilla works. Avoid Netscape since, well, nothing works in Netscape even when is is working correctly.

Try reinstalling IE. Better yet, upgrade to IE6 since it has the most up to date information. It is possible that IE5.x dislikes JRE 1.4.x. Alternately, try reinstalling/repair installing IE 5.5.

Make sure no previous versions of the JRE are installed when you uninstall 1.4.1_2. Some shared files might not be deleted or changed on an uninstall/reinstall, especially if they're open and locked.

11. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>Try a different browser. Opera does a good job mimicing IE.
    As I posted, Opera gets me gurther, anmd helped me identify the source of the error, IE just did nothing.

>Next, see if Mozilla works. Avoid Netscape since, well, nothing works in Netscape even when is is working correctly.
    Playing with two browsers is enough, adding two more to the mix isn't a good idea, IMHO

Try reinstalling IE.
    Did that, twice. I even found a place to get an image of IE back to IE 3.0, MS stopped supporting anything before 6.0 just last month.
    >Better yet, upgrade to IE6 since it has the most up to date information.
    MS stopped supporting netscape style plugins with IE 5.5SP2.
    Several pieces of S/W depend on them. IE6.0 is not an option at this time.

>It is possible that IE5.x dislikes JRE 1.4.x.
    I tried going back to JRE1.3x no go.

>Alternately, try reinstalling/repair installing IE 5.5.
    Done that, no go.
    intersxtingly, I noticed that you CAN'T uninstall IE from the ctl panel, all you can do is update or repair. M$ strikes again :-(

>Make sure no previous versions of the JRE are installed when you uninstall 1.4.1_2. Some shared files might not be deleted or changed on an uninstall/reinstall, especially if they're open and locked

I looked, there are no java related files noticeable after removing JRE x.x.

I think a re-install of Windoze into a new directory (or even new disk) might be appropriate.

12. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Seems you are about to try anything to get the java-engine working. Before trying a reinstall you could try to reinstall the MS Virtual Machine:

http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

Btw. what buttons gives you the error ? links-buttons on the homepage ?, or browsers-buttons like back and forward ?

Could also be nice with an exact error message(screenshot) from Internet Explorer as it would make it possible to search google for similar cases.

13. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>Seems you are about to try anything to get the java-engine working.

I finally gave up on trying to revive Java working on this machine.
    Re-isntalling Java, re-isntalling IE (and uppgrading to 6.0), re-isntalling Win98SE, all didn't work.

Now, I knew this from the beginning, but it worked imperfectly....
    Opera comes with a version that has its own java functionality built in. (it's the ~12MB D.L, not the %MB one).
    The Java compiler/whatever that is embedded in Opera works OK. Not great, as Opera had a different idea of page composition and framing (the same page looks different than IE, usually worse :-( )

So... when I need java functionality to get a plane ticket on-line, I can use Opera.
    Not an ideal solution, but it works.

14. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Go to:
    Tools/Internet Options/Advanced.

Scroll down to Java (Sun) and Microsoft VM. Try using the Sun Java and disabling MS, and then try MS and disable Sun.

15. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>Go to:
    >Tools/Internet Options/Advanced.

>Scroll down to Java (Sun) and Microsoft VM. Try using the Sun >Java and disabling MS, and then try MS and disable Sun.

Been there. done that, no T-shirt.
    BTW, as I posted before, MS VMjava perfectly understands:

javascript:document.cs1.submit()

and I proceed to the next page.

BUT.....
    it fails on:

javascript:next_page(stuff)
    javascript:cov_change_settings()
    javascript:cov_openchoices(stuff)
    (etc)

with an 'error on page' msg.

So, MSjavaVM is apparently installed to some extent, but is being picky about which commands it will execute.

BTW, I was running fine with MSjavaVM, but decided to D/L and install the new SunJava RE 1.4.1_02 (or whatever the latest release was), even whent as far as finding and installing RE V1.3.(something).
    I am coming to rue the day that I had a spare minute and decided to check out the new release of Sun Java RE.

just sign me:
    Bummed out Bob

16. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I dunno. Uninstall all the JRE's you have. Maybe the bad file is a shared one.

17. morlok

morlok Private E-2

> dunno. Uninstall all the JRE's you have. Maybe the bad file is a shared one.

Been there, done that, no T-shirt.
    I went as far as deleting any and every reference to Java, jre/j2re
    from the registry, and rebuilding/compressing/checking it.

Thanks for the help, chicken man.
    I think I'll just wait for another rainy weekend (or month ;-) and re-install everything, including Win98, into an entirely new directory.

18. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>Seems you are about to try anything to get the java-engine working.

I finally gave up on getting java to work.
    Then, it fixed itself, sorta.

I finally figured out my java problems.
    The cause turned out to be 'none of the above'.
    It was AdSubtract Pro (sort of).
    After running AD+- std efition for years, I upgraded to Pro.
    SE ony allows you to filter cookies and adds on a per site basis (15 sites max), plus a default setting for all others.
    Pro allows you to filter ads,cookies, plus pop-ups, animations, music, etc, ....PLUS..... Java scripts.
    Ad+- Pro was set to filter javascripts as the default setting for all sites not enumerated in the individual site database.

I finally noticed that javascripts were working when I was debugging an unrelated problem, and had stripped out all unnnecessary components from the system, including ZA and AD+-.
    It took awhile, but I finally got it down to the fact that AD+- std would work, but Pro wouldn't. Analyzing the difference finally revealed that it was the extra filtering that was (obviously!!!) stopping Java.
    Definitely a Homer Simpson moment. Unfortunately.

Interestingly, my use of java functions (mostly configuration changes for on-line sites and occasional travel sites) was low enough that it was months after upgrading to Pro that it became irritating enough to try to figure it out. And even then I was trying to figure out something else.
    Such is Windoze programming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds