No! Not my Net Bank Account!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Got this in my Spam Box today. Usually I don't even read them, but this one is kinda funny.

"ferris nena <account-support@sterlingsavingsbank.com!> to me
    show details 6:15 am (3 hours ago)

As a Sterling Savings Bank customer, your privacy and security is a primary task for us. We have been dedicated to customer safety and protection and our mission remains as strong as ever.
    We inform you that your Net Banking account is about to expire. It is strongly recommended to update it immediately. Update form is located here.
    However, failure to confirm your records may result in account suspension.
    This is an automated message. Please do not reply.

Sincerely, Sterling Savings Bank Administration

¿ 2008 Sterling Savings Bank. All Rights Reserved. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender."

It has an attachment (which I did not open, I ain't a totall fool!). It is nice to have so much money, you don't even know what banks you have money in.:-D I have never heard of Sterling Savings. And I like the upside down question mark in the last line...:confused

I hate spammers. Should be illegal. I guess if they send enough out, somebody will fall for it...

E

2. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

I was emptying the bulk (spam) without looking, mainly we sometimes get 100s a day, until some of our accounts were past due.
    I started looking in there and sure enough some payment reminders, some geek mail, so now I have to sift through that crap before dumping it. :mad

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

I never used to get those kind of bank spam emails until a few weeks ago when they started to turn up. Of course I never open them, so far they haven't been from the bank(s) I deal with.

Must be awful if your own bank contacts you via email & *could* be the real thing and perhaps it may not be. I'd give them a call in that case without even opening them emails.

4. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

our bank sent out a message to all it's customers to manually type in the bank's website address and read the announcement about recent incidents of phishing. I thought it pretty cool of them because not everyone knows better.

5. darlene1029

What the real places tell you to do is, instead of opening the link in your email go to the site yourself by typing it in or through your bookmarks.
    I'm always reporting them sending them to the real institution for them to investigate. Wonder if they've ever tracked one down :confused

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

I never open any email that goes to the "spam" folder, that's it! Of course, therefore I never click on any of those links or attachments should they be there. When I've done some dealings with someone new, being a co or personal AND trusted, I put their email address in my "contacts".

Don't know if the real institutions can do something about all that spam being disguised as their own. Perhaps they can do some tracing?

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I don't know how people get caught by this crap. I do all my banking etc. online and the first thing I see on the site written in bold red letters 'We do not send e-mails about your account'! :confused I mean, how could they since I never gave them my e-mail address in the first place and secondly, they never asked for one. I don't know how other banks work.

8. oma

oma MajorGeek

I also do online banking for years and never gave out my email address. But I've never seen my bank posting a notice about not emailing me about my account when I log in either. Therefore I don't know if the institutions would send emails if I'd given them my email address.

Anyway, I use different accounts with my ISP, one for the trusted ones and others for other stuff such as newsletters etc and noticed that I get far more spam in the non trusted accounts.

Off topic: Additionally I never save/remember ANY passwords at ANY site and rather type them in every time when logging in.

9. darlene1029

I recently heard on the news some guy was arrested for identity theft , worse part was he worked at a place that protected people from that, so having access to all that info made it real easy.
    It's like being robbed from people who install your security system. No one is 100 % safe.

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

True but better to take as many precautions as possible to prevent easy access to whatever it may be.

11. darlene1029

Oh definitely.

I went to have some medical tests done last week and the receptionist told me about some woman who needed gallbladder surgery and was turned down the reason being she had it a year before. So someone got hold of her Medicare and used it. Never heard the outcome but I have heard it's painful condition so any delay would be horrific.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I do bank online sometimes. Net Bank is not my bank. :-D I actually know my banker and her assistant. We are on a first name basis. Which is really funny to me because I just have a checking account with them. The company I work for, now they got some money at that bank, so I get some residual arse kissing.;)

If your bank sends you an email like the one I got, it is fake or you need to close out your account ASAP and find a real bank.

E

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I got one of those, too! The funniest thing for me is that I do not currently have an account at ANY bank.

I almost was tempted to click on the link to see if maybe they were giving away free money. LOL

14. augiedoggie

Nah, it's a Democratic congress ATM.rolleyes:-D

15. N5638J

N5638J Guest

New trend?

16. oma

oma MajorGeek

Got 2 of them spam bank emails today but didn't open them. No way!!! You guys have a lot of guts opening/reading them. ;)

BancorpSouth Info Center

BancorpSouth Significant information for our clients.
    3:33 PM 3KB
    Unread

BancorpSouth Customer Update Department

BancorpSouth - Security Fix.
    1:55 PM 3KB
    Unread

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am not too worried about reading them. The links and attachments now, those I won't touch unless I am running the Penguin.:-D

E

18. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I feel so left out. All my spam is of the prescription drug nature. :cry

heh

19. augiedoggie

Hmm, I guess you missed the 'Italian' who was spamming Canadian meds a few minutes ago.rolleyes:-D Something is afoot right now as I've seen quite a few sites getting hit today where one hardly ever sees any like here.

20. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

All my spam is of the canned variety... Joseph Stalin credited it as being the one thing that saved the Russian Army during WWII

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

22. oma

oma MajorGeek

*handing over kleenex* You're not alone in this. Most spam I get is from pharmacies and other types of offers on drugs that better not be mentioned... Perhaps I googled at one time, clicked on an online pharmacy and just guessing that's were the majority of spam is from? :confused

23. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Nope, it's just because you have an email address. None of those places are actually pharmacies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds