Lost XP Power Management Schemes

Discussion in 'Software' started by bobengel, Feb 17, 2004.

1. bobengel

bobengel Private E-2

My XP power management was working fine until I tried to make some changes. Now, I've lost all Power Management Schemes except for Portable/Laptop and none of the custom settings I make will work. If I make some settings and Save As with a name, the settings do not take effect and when I go back to the Power Management screen, the saved name is not there - just Portable/Laptop. Can someone help me get back to the original Power Management settings so I can start over again? I'm using XP Professional.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. bobengel

bobengel Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. Could I please have a few details on where the registry tweak came from and what it does?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It came from me, and its not a tweak. It replaces/updates your registry in the area where the power schemes and policies are kept.

Its nothing more than a copy of the default power policies and schemes.

But, back up your registry, just in case.

5. bobengel

bobengel Private E-2

Thanks. I ran it and the original schemes came back just fine. Now, I used the desktop setting and made some selections, clicked "apply" and OK. Unfortunately, none of the settings I made seem to work. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly but seems fairly straightforward. Would there be any running application or device that would prevent the power management to work?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not that I am aware of. But what you can try is using msconfig to disable all startup items and third party services (check hide all MS services).

Then reboot, and see if the problem persists.

7. bobengel

bobengel Private E-2

You are correct. I closed all processes except the critical ones and the power settings worked. Now I have to go back and close them one-by-one to see which one causes the power settings not to work. I know Quicken is not compatible but at least they tell you if you try to turn off the computer before exiting the program.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds