possible faulty drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by SomeCrazyStuff, Oct 21, 2008.

1. SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff Private E-2

i have a hp pavilion hdx 9300 series laptop. I recently had trouble installing updates, but came to the conclusion that it was eset blocking them. Last night I installed 10 updates. the laptop is running vista ultimate 64 bit. This morning i am having issues with the quick launch button acting up. They seem to be pushing themselves randomly. At forist i thought maybe someone had hacked to the system and was messing with me. But i have completely turned off wireless and bluetooth and disconnected the ethernet cable. Now i have the cdrom randomly ejecting and the sounds is cutting off and on again at random. Before when i had the wireless and bluetooth turned on it would(at random) turn itself of and on when it felt like it.

Odd thing is its only the wireless/bluetooth button, volume buttons, and cdrom eject buttons that are messing up.. so far have had the quick play application or media center launch.

there isnt any info in the event log. I thought to check there first. Device manager doesn't show anything missing. I think something just may have gotten corrupted with the updates last night.

edit: oh eset scann running right now.. at 53% and nothing found so far.. ill repost after i have run this and gone through a couple other scans...

any thoughts?

thx in advanced for any comments

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. SomeCrazyStuff

ok eset has long finished and i ran malwarebytes.. neither found any infections. I was going to run superantispyware as well but didnt get the time to.

Let me try to explain something else that may be affecting it.

The other night I heard what sounded to be a clicking noise. I put my ear down next to the laptops fan and here and there. Finally i decided the clicking noise was coming from the floor. I picked up the power adapter and put it next to my ear to discover the clicking noise was coming from it. I asked boss man about it, since he is our main server guy and was in electrical engineering for a while before starting off in computers, and he said that the transformer in the power adapter may be arching. Would this cause a corruption in the drivers used to send code to the quick launch "touch" button? or should i be looking more towards motherboard failure due to power surge from the arching transformer?

just a thought...

(I know thats more of a hardware issue, but it still pertains to the software side of things as its the software im asking about getting messed up. but move if it so fits xD)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Well to figure out if the adapter is indeed opening and closing the CDROM, turning sounds off and on, and all the other eerie things, unhook the adapter and run off just the battery. If nothing strange happens, you've found the problem.

4. SomeCrazyStuff

good suggestion.. but if it is the adapter then i would think it wouldnt be affecting the buttons directly.. but rather have fried their circuitry which is now sending packet storms instead of constant throughput.. in that case whether the adapter is plugged in or not wouldn't matter as any energy to the circuitry would allow info to be transmitted.

it hasn't done it since about noon today... so im not sure what the deal was. But i just noticed that my xbox is having the hdmi graphics flicker.. and i know the entergy people were down the road a couple of days ago.. so i wonder if there might be some power surging... though this shouldnt be a problem for my laptop as i have NEVER plugged it straight into an outlet.. i have a good surge suppressor and a ups as well that i plug the laptop into interchangably(sorry not sure thats even a word... but it gets point across, i think)...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds