Android

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by artemis, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artemis

artemis Private E-2

hello everyone!

As a part of my college project, i am working on Android to create an application. To work with Android, i need to download Eclipse. That is where the problem starts :(

I downloaded Eclipse Classic 3.6.2 from eclipse.org

The download was successful and so was the extraction. but, when i try to run the exe file, it says - "error in connection, can't open" or "this is not supported by win32"

What can i do?? Help!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try downloading it again but this time from one of the HTTP links as the error above or the first one mainly is something I get at times from downloading apps or files off FTP (just the connection wasnt brilliant and you can end up missing or have a slight data corruption in the file).

What Windows version and Service pack are you running and do you have the latest version of Java installed?

3. artemis

artemis Private E-2

i have the latest version of Java. i use windows XP service pack 3 and the .RAR file of eclipse was not downloaded from ftp. i downloaded it from an http site.

4. Tomsm

Tomsm Private E-2

Go to Android Studio

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think he probably solved this 3 years ago.

That said, Android Studio still has some major bugs.

6. Ian Hutchinson

Ian Hutchinson Private E-2

Getting Started : Setting up Android Development Environment

Installing Android SDK

In order to start developing for Android you need the Software Development Kit. You can download it for Windows, Linux or for Mac OS X.

Once downloaded you have to install it, on Windows just start the executable file.

Installing Java JDK and Eclipse

The Java Development Kit is needed to develop Android applications since Android is based on Java and XML. Writing Android code is being done using an editor, the best supported ,and in my opinion, the best one around is Eclipse. Eclipse is an opensource freeware editor that is capable of supporting a wide range of programming languages.

Installing the ADT Plugin

Once Eclipse is installed we need to connect the Android SDK with Eclipse, this is being done by the ADT Plugin. Installing this plugin is easily done using eclipse.

Start Eclipse. Navigate in the menu to Help > Install new software..
    Press ‘ Add..’, in the new window that pops up you can fill in Name with an arbitrary name. A good suggestion could be “Android Plugin” and in the location you have to paste :

https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/

Click ‘Ok’. Make sure the checkbox for Developer Tools is selected and click “Next”.
    Click ‘Next’. Accept al the license agreements, click ‘Finish’ and restart Eclipse.
    To configure the plugin : choose Window > Preferences
    Select ‘Android’ on the left panel and browse for the Android SDK you downloaded in the first step. (On windows : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk)
    Click apply and you’re ready and ok !
    Adding platforms and components

On windows, start the SDKManager.exe . Located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk and install all platforms and components.

You’re ready to start coding now !

Happy coding,

(pulled from XDA)

[GUIDE] How To Make An Android App
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092271

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cxmLN09ss

7. Tomsm

Tomsm Private E-2

Yes, but It is updated and improved almost every week.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I am aware, I use it. However, for the OP, Android Studio didn't exist at the time anyway.

0.4.4 fixed my issue with R not being generated after cleaning a project, even when basically empty.

9. Tomsm

Tomsm Private E-2

yes, I also have a problem with R.java
    I just do not pay attention to this red underline. And a program at compile without errors.

The only noticeable problem is the inability to compile the project without the Internet:cry

Maybe you know how to work with the AS in offline mode?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I couldn't even compile :(

The gradle build system is the reason for Internet access being required.

Go to AS prefs (I'm on a mac, so its Android Studio > Preferences).

Compiler > Gradle > Check offline mode. Requires 0.4.0 or higher.

11. Tomsm

Tomsm Private E-2

Thank you for the advice, I'll try

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds