My computer shuts down without any bluescreen or message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaReaperZ, Apr 5, 2011.

1. DaReaperZ

DaReaperZ Private E-2

Well, after I've been playing a while my computer shuts down as if it was a power outage but it wasn't.

I don't think that it is overheating mostly because I am almost freezing over here with my window wide open, but hey, I'm certainly no expert. For example, if I even play a replay in Shogun 2 Total War the computer shuts down some time during that replay. My chassis has once 120mm fan in the front and one 120mm in the back. one 80mm in the side.

My graphicscard is a nvidia 8800 gtx if I am not mistaken and my processor is a AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz. I have 2.00 GB of RAM installed.

If you need to know more, please by all means write back to me!

Regards, David Nilsson. :confused

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It's possible your power supply (PSU) is going bad (shutting down as it heats up).

A typical PSU loses about 10% of its max. output each year. As an example, a three-year old PSU rated at 400 watts may only be putting out 280-300 watts of maximum power.

If you replace the PSU, it's worth spending a few extra bucks on a quality name brand (check user ratings on Newegg or CompUSA). Given your system specs, you should be OK with one rated at 400 watts. If you plan on upgrading the video card in the next few years, it would be worth getting a higher output (500-600 watt) PSU that can handle the upgraded card.

Hope this helps. :)

3. DaReaperZ

DaReaperZ Private E-2

Thanks, I'll try this as fast as I can.

I'll see if I can get a quality brand in my country I think the one I have now is pretty damn cheap, I might even have a power supply lying around if I am lucky ;)

Hey, a question, has it ever happened to you that your power supplys fuse have exploded?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I've never actually had a PSU fuse "explode". If a fuse explodes (or merely blows), it's either a sign something in the PSU has shorted out or the PC's wattage exceeds the PSU's available output.

PSUs can fail in many ways:

• Shutting down as they heat up (your symptom).
    • Not turning on at all.
    • Creating a funky smell if something starts to meltdown inside the PSU.
    • Worst possible case: a failure of the PSU that creates an over-voltage surge, possibly zapping the motherboard and other hardware (some better PSUs have over-voltage protection built-in).

Good luck on solving the problem. :)

5. DaReaperZ

DaReaperZ Private E-2

I haven't got around to trying your solution just yet but I'm working on it :p thanks again.

Well, one time I heard a load fire cracker-like explosion and saw a spark from the back of my computer and after that the PSU was dead, although it was a cheap one.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

One thing you do not go cheap on is the power supply. If that goes, it can take other parts of your hardware with it so it just is not worth it.

7. Bolts

Bolts Private E-2

If you were running a conventional old tube based monitor - affectionately known as a glass screen - this loud crack from behind yor pc was most likely what's known as a flashover on the tube of the monitor.

Kinda cool if you are watching around the back and it's not your screen!

Often this is a terminal condition for a monitor, and really big ones can grab bits of your pc and nail them too. Generally only the monitor dies but the device it is connected is ok.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds