Disney takes a BIG step

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newgroove, Mar 13, 2005.

1. newgroove

newgroove <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/089815186

I just heard this on the news today: Michael Eisner is stepping down as the CEO of Disney!!!!!! Come September 30th, he will step down and Robert Iger (President of Disney) will take over as CEO. This is going to be awesome for Disney and hopefully it'll bring 'em out of the slow down spiral they've been in....

- Newgroove (aka cartoon enthusiast)

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

perhaps if it didn't cost $2000 for a family to go to Disneyland then I would consider that a start.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

meh, most memorable time in disney = the waiting lines.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

About time he did the decent thing!!

Still Iger was just handed the job without putting the job up for other candidates to apply for.... so could still be bad news, only time will tell but still the company could really do with a Disney back at the helm to add some sparkle?

5. frazzled

frazzled Keeping the peace

eisner is still going to be on the board of dirtectors...They should really try to get back a deal with pixar....they made some good movies....

6. cnybud

cnybud Private First Class

Hopefully they will finally release to the US "the song of the south". I findit odd that it was okay to release this in Japan and the UK, but not here...

7. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

not disney's fault, blame jesse jackson.
    if people in this country weren't completely overly sensitive and litigous about anything and everything then it would have been released here also.

8. frazzled

frazzled Keeping the peace

agreed.................

9. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

definitely looking forward to all this.... both the change in power and "the song of the south";)

10. cnybud

From what I understand it is actually Sidney Poitier who is on the board who is knocking it down. They just relaesed some very off color old war cartoons with slanty eyed Japanese and incredibly awful characterzations of the same, with a disclaimer.

Why they couldn't do this with SOTS I have no idea.

11. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Political correctness is erasing quite a bit of our past. Ted Turner, who now owns the Warner Bros. cartoons, decided a while back that all the WWII era cartoons that portrayed Japanese badly will stay locked in the vaults, along with a selection of newer ones that were deemed not politically correct enough. The Bugs Bunny cartoon where an ugly female witch, magically changed to a sexy female rabbit to con Bugs, when discovered by Bugs at the end of the clip and Bugs comments that "There's a little bit in all of them" and walks off arm-in-arm with the witch/bunny chick won't be seen anymore either. That one was done in the 60s. More importantly, any quotes or statements from founding fathers, ex presidents, references to laws or Supreme Court decisions that reference God or are positive about religion, and that's a huge percentage of our written history has been removed from our schools, including at least one school district which has banned the Declaration of Independence, which references God. Recreate the world in their own image by erasing the past and lying about it.

I've got a dub of an old VHS copy of SOTS. Quaint and old fashioned, but there's absolutely nothing offensive in it. Needless to say I'm NOT PC.

12. cnybud

GT great post!

I agree that the world has gone to the extreme in cases where if one person is offended you had better be as well or else you are intolerant.

I miss the old cartoons, and wish they would just let people decide for themselves what was wrong or right with them and let them air. This revisionist history has got to stop somewhere.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds