CPU dead??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dodgisity, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dodgisity

dodgisity Private E-2

Progressive problems with an old AMD Duron 1300 running XP. First occasional boot loop - as far as Mup.exe or Amdagp.exe then self-reboots. Resetting the CMOS usually got a diskckeck and a good start. Then even this wouldn't work. Ran Maxtor diskchecker - fastcheck ok but on full check pc rebooted part way through. Ditto the XP chkdksk. Now it only boots as far as checking primary and secondary disks (says OK) then hangs - goes to set-up and back but hangs. Have TrueImage backup on a second disk but can't get to it because of hang-up. Ditto won't boot from boot disk - hangs. So I can't even reinstall XP.

Could be hard disk - but surely it would work with boot disk. Progresive CPU failure but I'd expect all or nothing rather than reboots. Motherboard failure - possible and feels most likely, its an OLD gigabyte. Memory glitch - maybe, but tried removal and reinstaall, on stick or two with zilch effect.

So ideas folks?

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Do you have another PC? You could transfer the HDD to it and run some diagnostics on it.

3. dodgisity

dodgisity Private E-2

Doing that now. Put the 120G drive in another PC and it booted up just fine. Now running Maxtor pwrmax full disk scan just to make sure.

Before when I said it goes to setup OK, that's if I do it before it finds and recognises teh disks and hangs. Won't do it once it's hung.

Can't check the memory cause the duron's the only pc not running ddr. but i tried each stick indivisually and the self-check says their ok.

I'll wait for the full disk scan but I'm pretty sure now the disk is OK. Which makes it CPU or motherboard, right?? I'm going for CPU because at one stage the temp alarm was going off (at 70c) although it didn't recur after i took the case side off (pretty hot here).

4. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Does it give any errorcode whatsoever when it hangs or does it just sit there?

5. dodgisity

dodgisity Private E-2

Goes through RAM test - OK. Finds Primary drive - SMART capable etc OK. Finds secondary drive - SMART capable etc - OK. Finds CDROM. Goes to next line (because no more drives installed) hangs with cursor flashing. No error message.

6. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Yeah, Id say it's down to the two components you've cut it down to.
    Do you have any way to check the mobo? (Mates computer etc?)

7. dodgisity

dodgisity Private E-2

OK - hard disk tests as all OK. That's a relief in one sense. But it still leaves me without being able to boot that PC

Tried a DURON 1400 in the mobo but wouldn't do anything - not surprised cause mobo site says its not compatible with that CPU.

Tried the checked drive - no change (although once ar error of 'secondary drive problem - when I didn't have a secondary drive but it vanished on CMOS reset)

Prob doesn't matter if its the CPU or the mobo - if I replace one of these old bits I'll probably change the other as well. That's a real pain given it doesn't get used for anything but word, email and solitaire.....

But my curiosity is bothering me.

8. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Seems to me your mobo isn't the problem. It's giving the errors and such as it's supposed to.
    My educated guess would definetily be the cpu.

9. dodgisity

dodgisity Private E-2

And The Answer Is.......

the CPU. I found a Duron 800 in my bits and pieces, popped it in and.....boots just fine.

Good to know the initial guess was right - and thanks for the support.

I wonder if she'll notice the difference?? Probably not (LOL).

Thanks again.

10. King Edward

King Edward Private E-2

Check for bulging capacitors on the motherboard. Reference http://www.badcaps.net/
    for examples of bad caps. Been there and done that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds