Question about installing a game

Discussion in 'Software' started by VampireOrchid, Apr 17, 2009.

1. VampireOrchid

VampireOrchid Private E-2

Ok,

So now a new issue with my parents pc.

They have a Hp pavilion that has 256mb of ram.

Currently, my mom has basically all the zoo tycoons (2) on this pc. But when she goes to add the last one, the entire game freezes and she can't play.

We have windows XP as well by the way.

The game requirements for the one not working are as followed.

Windows xp-256 mb ram
    processor 1ghz
    Hard drive 600mb(plus space required for zoo tycoon 2)
    Video card 32mb hardware T&LDirectX 9.0c or later

Now I know the prob is not the hard drive, because the other expansions for this game require like 900 and they work fine

Is it because I only have 256 mb of ram on here or is it something to do with my vid card

I don't know anything about the vid card accet that I just downloaded the driver for it called Intell Extreme Graphics Driver.

Well let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

256MB is the bare minimum for XP.Take it to 1GB and your machine will be much more enjoyable and playable.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are their any error messages given? also check Event Viewer for clues to a faulting file around the time of the freeze.

Try disabling as many background tasks as possible (look in system tray for many of these and right click and exit or disable), and even the antivirus if the PC is disconnected from the internet, just to see if freeing up more ram will help.

Also try HP Support pages and see if their are any updates to the graphics card for the model HP you have.

But in the end 256mb ram is going to struggle with many things and just keeping the OS and then a game going is going to eat virtually all that ram up, if possible worth adding more ram.

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

plus the computer will be much faster, make sure the computer recognises it but, a motherboard that old might not recognise 1GB, I'm surprised that machine still runs! Good old HPs.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If not 1GB, at least take it to 512MB.

7. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Definitely! 256 would be seriously slow! lol

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Merged threads as always best to stick to one as having two on same issue can lead to confusion in the various help suggestions and repeated info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds