ATI Motherboard, nVidia Graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wolf13, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Wolf13

Wolf13 Private E-2

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at building myself a computer for a while and because of performance, cost, etc. I've settled on the following:

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3

Graphics Card:
    EVGA GTX460

Can anyone tell me, in general, are there any issues with running an ATI motherboard with an nVidia graphics card?

Also, would there be any issues with those particular specs?

Thanks in advance

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

There should be no problems with the graphics card as the motherboard has PCI Express.
    The 460 is a phenomenal card and will handle all you throw at it.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I concur. There should be no problems at all for you.

4. Wolf13

Wolf13 Private E-2

Awesome, thanks very much for the help :)

5. Wolf13

Wolf13 Private E-2

Sorry for the double post, but I thought it would be better than creating a new thread.

I need to make sure that my power supply will connect to my motherboard, graphics card and the other components of my pc as well.

Can anyone please explain what the different pin configurations for power supplies mean, because it seems the power supply of choice has a few different types.

Would you also be able to tell me if this PSU will support the motherboard, graphics card, etc.

Power Supply:
    ANTEC TP-750 750W Modular PSU

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3

Graphics Card:
    EVGA GTX460 Model #: 768-P3-1360-TR

CPU:
    AMD ATHLON X4 640 AM3 3.0GHZ QUADCORE Model #: ADX640WFGMBOX

Hard Drive:
    WD CAVIAR BLACK 1.0TB 7200/64MB/SATA3 Model #: WD1002FAEX

RAM:
    GEIL 4GB KIT DDR3 VALUE PLUS C9 1333MHz Model #: GVP34GB1333C9DC

I realise the RAM doesn't connect directly to the PSU, but any comments on the compatibility of these components would be greatly appreciated.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The PSU is more than adequate for the job and as for the connectors it has the main cables integrated but come with extra cables that you can plug into the PSU if needed so you will have all you need to power your new rig.

The Antec is a quality product that will give you trouble free perfomance.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused Does anyone know what this means?

And, YES! The 750 Antec TruePowerNew is more than enough power for the rig listed above (and a quality unit, excellent choice!), and it's probably enough for a 2nd GTX460 for SLI (as long as no other devices are added, and no overclocking). Running an AMD/ATI video card on an NVidia-based motherboard will cause no problems, nor will running an NVidia video card on an AMD-based motherboard. However, if you're MB has an AMD chipset, you CANNOT use two NVidia cards in SLI; AMD chipsets only support 2 or more AMD/ATI video cards in CFX, but a single NVidia card will be fine (and the same applies going the other way: NVidia-based MBs will not support 2 or more AMD/ATI video cards, but a single is OK).

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

8. Wolf13

Wolf13 Private E-2

What does that mean, an 'AMD Chipset'?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Motherboards have what's called northbridge and southbridge. These are the circuitry that connects the PCIe slots and etc. The circuitry is programmed using either AMD, Intel, or Nvidia (maybe another or two) technology. If it uses AMD circuitry, SLI (Nvidia) won't work but Crossfire (ATI) will.

For this reason, most people either use all Intel and Nvidia components, or all AMD and ATI components. AMD/ATI you get better performance/dollar, but Intel/Nvidia you get better performance, but at a cost.

10. Wolf13

Wolf13 Private E-2

Ok that's fair enough. So is there any performance drop by using an nVidia graphics card with an AMD motherboard compared to using an equivalent ATI graphics card?

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

No, a Nvidia card will give a better performance than an ATi equivalent but they are more expensive.

The main point is that if you have an AMD chipset is that it will not allow you to use two Nvidia cards in SLi,

In your case you do not have to worry because the motherboard you have chosen has " Intel P55 Express" as the chipset.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds