Heatsink wear out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suesman, Jun 6, 2005.

1. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Just wondering if this is a possibility? I've noticed lately that my CPU temps have gone up a little, not very much only by 3-5c. It's not because of it becoming summer, as the temp in this room is a steady 70-72f year round. There is not any dust buildup either. I'm running an all cooper Speeze hs w/ an 80mm Zalman fan on top of a homemade aluminum funnel. Fan is clean, heatsink is clean & just recently reapplied the grease ( Artic Silver 5 ). The temps on my video card, memory or HDD have not changed a bit.

Whereas the CPU used to run aorund 36-37c @ idle, it now runs @ 40-41c. Motherboard temp is still the same @ around 23-24c.

EDIT:

Getting these temps from Everest, Easytune4 ( Gigabyte utility ), a Digital Doc 5 & the BIOS. All are purty much the same.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I don't *THINK* a heatsink can degrade... buut the fan on top of it could. You might want to check that out :)

3. Olley

Olley Sergeant

yeah, like the fish said, use speedfan to check if the fans rpm has reduced. also, it takes a while for arctic silver to optimize its heat conductivity, therefore if u just recently reapplied it, it is possible that the temps will still drop over a little time...

4. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Opps sorry..................I meant to say that the fan is new as well, plus it's run threw the Digital Doc & running @ the same speed as the previous fan ( same brand & size ), I've tested it at different speeds & all I'm getting different is noise level. Reckon I'll wait & see.

Thanks for the comments.

5. Olley

Olley Sergeant

40-41c is pretty good in my oppinion anyways...i have a prescott at 3.2ghz and it idles at 42-45c.. of course it depends on which chip u have but i still dont think its anything to be concerned about...

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

How recently did you reapply the AS5? It takes 200working hours for it to be stable. Also dust build up and cables moving around can also mess with temperatures by crapping up air flow. You might want to check other items that use heatsink/fan on your pc (like NB / Video card / hdd fans) they might be failing in one way or another and causing more heat.

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok I got 'er figured out. I put another fan on the CPU and it's back where it always was. Reckon the fan I just bought ain't cuttin' it. You'd think....same type of fan, spinnin' the same speed would produce the same results, but seems that's just not the case.

It has not been quite 200hours just yet, maybe the temp will come down more? WHOOHOO

As of right now...............CPU @ 38c, MB @ 25c

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Thats wierd, maybe it was upside down? [​IMG]

AS5 achieves its idle and lowest temp after 200hrs of the computer being on and doing stuff with it.

9. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Well let's say this.............................If it was? I sure won't be admitting it here. :D

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

lol, hey its a fumble that happens to the best of us!

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

"Hey did you hear about Suseman,he put a fan on the upside down and his cpu temp went up,I'd never make that mistake."

"Rikky your zippers undone"

"aaarrrrggg" Rikky runs away and hides. :D

12. Dr_Evil

Dr_Evil Private E-2

Man - I can tell you an even more stupid story - i was cleaning the dust off my videocard, and fan, with my vacuum cleaner (yes!) and i noticed when hovering close to that little fan, it started really spinning fast. Enjoyed by the sound it started making, i thought it was really cleaning the dust off, and i put it a little closer, until the vacuum cleaner bit touched the blades on the fan and they were launched through my bedroom, leaving 2 fan blades on it ;-)

(i now clean with a dust feather by the way ;-))

13. Rikky

Vacuum's and pc's dont mix,the nozzle on the end of a vacuum is like a little static powerstation,your lucky you only lost a fan,the whole lot could have been fried :eek: ,canned air,thats what you need. ;)

14. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

That's a good one Dr.Evil. I've never done that. *Brian's nose grows to a 2 foot length* LOL
    Now.....I gotta know........Did you try running the fan after you did it, "just too see" how it ran? It's really quite funny how it runs. Bing-a-da-Bing-a-da-tic-tic-tang.Bing-a-da.Then it stops for a second, and the remaining blades fly off. Then the center hub runs lovely with no blades. hehe

15. Olley

Olley Sergeant

hehehehe
    i know that i would have checked to see "how its runnin".... what else would i do? wait till i get a new fan??

16. Rikky

Something I tried once while I was bored,I hot glue gunned an 80mm fan to the end of 7.2v rc car motor,then stuck it on a 12v car boost starter,the power was incredible,it was really tuggin on my arm and sounded like an air raid siren,then glue broke the fan blades shot accross the room smashed into the wall,it broke into a thousand peices,I was finding them weeks afterward.

I would definately reccomend it,heres the stuff you need.LOL :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  17. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Now THAT looks like fun. I know of a guy who used a car radiator radial fan (squirell cage type) to try and cool his case. Unfortunatley, the power supply he used couldn't handle the current draw, so he gave up :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds