ASUS S56C - Cannot Boot From CD/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Mar 21, 2013.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm working on an ASUS S56C Notebook PC running Windows 8. The customer has forgotten their password and I'm trying to use a CD with Pogostick PW Recovery to clear it. It appears that whoever installed Windows 8 wrecked havoc on the BIOS settings to the point that the F9 "Restore Optimized Defaults" option is useless,

In the BIOS screen, the PC recognizes the existence of the internal CD/DVD drive. In boot options, however, it only gives an option for booting from the hard drive (not just "c" or "hard drive", but a cryptic path to a specific boot registry entry).

All administrator and user security options are unlocked or disabled in the BIOS. I have also tried to use an external CD/DVD drive - the BIOS won't recognize it, even with the USB security features disabled.

I downloaded the user manual from ASUS. I attempted to (re)install the second boot option for the DVD drive as shown; however it did not work.

(On top of all this, the BIOS shows that a 24GB SSD is also installed in the PC. At this point, all I care about is unlocking the OS on the 500GB HDD where Windows 8 is installed.)

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

2. malysh_rocky

malysh_rocky Private E-2

Enter BIOS
    Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.

Enable Launch CSM
    Switch to “Boot” and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled.

Disable Secure Boot Control
    Switch to “Security” and set “Secure Boot Control” to Disabled.

Save and Exit
    Press F10 to save and exit.

Boot to DVD
    Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when the notebook restarts. Select the CD/DVD drive to boot. When prompted to press any key to launch CD/DVD press a key.

Remove GPT Partitions
    All partitions on Disk 1 must be deleted and a new MBT partition must be created.

Create New Partition
    Create the new partition when all partitions on Disk 1 have been deleted.

Conclusion
    Windows 7 can now be installed on the newly created partition.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/36037-install-windows-7-on-asus-s56c

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Have you tried shutting it down all the way, unplugging it from the power, and popping the CMOS battery out of the board for a few minutes? That should reset the the BIOS to it's default settings.

--Edit-- Just noticed that the original post was from March 21st. I can only assume gman has it squared away by now ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds