Hotspot Shield 3.42 ... Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dekade, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I followed an MG link that led to "Hotspot Shield 3.42".

Does anyone have any comments about the quality of this program?

Is it the one to go with for VPN or is/are there better choices?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Hotspot Shield gets fairly good write ups, but depends what you want to use VPN for, if anonymised surfing only then Tor would be better, if using Wifi Hotspots that are open then VPN or this app would be better.

I personally use my phones 4G wifi net sharing than open free wifi networks.

A Review from 2015 of VPN HERE and free ones that maybe of interest for you.

3. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

DavidGP wrote:
    I am wanting to have privacy for my email, privacy when surfing, anonymity when placing orders on the web, and anonymity when downloading computer software training courses that I use for writing.

I was looking at Private Internet Access, but they are a paid VPN provider. Is it necessary to have a paid provider for the things I want to do? I also want to set up DD-WRT on my router so that I would not have to install VPN software on each individual computer in my house. Will the free ones allow me that freedom? I have no idea on how to get going with the flashing of DD-WRT on my router. Can of worms - possibly.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Eldon,

Thanks. You are a good person to know. You have always jumped in with a helping hand towards me. It is greatly appreciated.

Dekade

6. Eldon

You're welcome.

About 2 years ago I downloaded SecurityKiss but never installed it. Therefore I cannot make a recommendation. In the near future I will be looking at the first 3 on the list.

The big difference between a Paid VPN and a Free VPN is the former has your name, surname and credit card number... and your money!

Here's an article worth reading.

http://inspirationfeed.com/articles...p-being-a-sheep-how-to-stay-anonymous-online/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  7. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I never looked at it that way but your absolutely correct. Last night I made a decision to make a change; as a result of reading the "free VPN services" review you sent me. Which, by the way, is excellent. It is one of Gizmos better done reviews. A comment in the beginning was something of the following: "Your privacy is free why are you paying for it?" Something like that. That being said - the day before - I signed up with "Private Internet Access" for a Valentines day special of $31.95 for one year. They are supposed to be top rated. Went through about 7 tech support inquiry/request help issues. Did not care for their attitude. Pretty rough for a company when an "attitude" shows through on a CHAT!

Today I am cancelling. Not worth the stress to deal with attitudes. I have enough stress:cry. LUCKILY, I have a seven day trial period (2 days into it). Paid via PayPal - that was a good thing.

Eldon also said:
    I will also be going with one of the those today. Zeroing in on CyberGhost (sort of). Can't remember if they were one of the three or not but they have fast speeds which does make a difference. I am going to contact them and see which one gives the best assistance. I want to make certain that whoever I choose will sync in well when I flash my router with DD-WRT so that I can have my home network VPN protected versus individual computers having individual VPN software.

Flashing is a whole new ball game and I must make certain of what I am doing. I am studying it at www.DD-WRT.com. 'Major' learning curve; but I'm sure I can conquer it. Requires patience in the ability to do one step at a time. I feel I can handle that aspect well.

8. Eldon

The top three in the article are CyberGhost VPN, SecurityKiss, and the Tor Browser Bundle.

I am fed up with Zucky tracking my internet activity, and then being insulted by his "flock" because I did not read the EULA, or the TOS, or the CG, or the whatever.

9. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I can certainly appreciate your aggravations. Appears they are justified. I thought I would be making my choice today but am still studying the article. The 'discussion' sometimes "sort of" leads you one direction but then the "Quick Selection Guide" sometimes leads you another. Nothing overly done - just requires studying. One place CyberGhost is said to be fast then the other it says it's slow. Just trying to figure it out.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

So why not install the three. Kick the tires and then see which one works well for you.
    Use Revo Uninstaller to remove the other two when you've decided which one fits your needs. Or create an image, restore the image and install the one you like.

11. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Not a bad idea at all. I really think I will try that over this weekend.

By the way plodr -
    so many people on this forum use and talk about Revo Installer or 'free' Revo Uninstaller. I don't know which one they are actually praising. Is it really the best one to use? Yet there are some reviews about it not being so great and skipping things. Again, not sure which one is being talked about. Is there 'really' something about it that makes it so good? I studied a lot of reviews and was directed most favorably to 'free' IOBIT Uninstaller. However, I will gladly trust you saying - what about ,and why, - Revo should be the one and I'll change over to it (because I have chosen to place a lot of trust in this forum; from past experience). I'm just trying to see if there is something I have missed in my studying. It's just kinda bugging me a little bit. (I don't want this thread to sidetrack into a Revo discussion; I, myself, won't carry it any further than just that one general question to you).

I forgot to mention that supposedly REVO Free does not like or want to work with 64 bit Windows.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. Eldon

plodr, I hope you don't mind.

Dekade, Revo Uninstaller has been around for many years, that's why it's more recommended than any other similar program. Also, the Free version is available in a portable edition. Whether Revo Uninstaller is better than IOBit Uninstaller, is debatable. And, IOBit is disliked by many users for various reasons, one being offered other programs from the publisher. Just uncheck the box!

PS Start a new thread asking for the best uninstaller. You'll be surprised.

13. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Eldon said:
    Yes, I did experience that. I will start another thread and see what I get. Probably should search for a thread with the same question. But I'll start a new thread and see if I get called down - not my intention to be called down for being lazy with searching.

14. plodr

I use Revo Free and carry the portable version so I have it handy if I need to clean a senior citizen's computer.
    The only problem with the free version is that it doesn't see 64 bit installed programs.

I have a different program I use in case a program doesn't show up. It's Advanced Uninstaller Free. (This program has lots of things but the only option I ever use is the uninstaller).

15. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

plodr,

Input greatly appreciated.

Dekade

16. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

HUGE LESSON LEARNED

Eldon Said:
    You have no idea how true that is. As can be seen further down the thread I signed up with Private Internet Access -BEFORE- what Eldon said above and BEFORE what a review article said on 'why pay for your privacy?'.

Well, I had a 7 day grace period to cancel. Cancelled the second day because of tech support attitudes. They cancelled my subscription okay. Kept my money. Went through 9 attempts to retrieve it. If it were not for the integrity and ethics of PayPal I would 'never' have gotten back my money. PP got it back for me. Whew!!!

That was the first time in 10 years I got 'hit' by an internet company. My caution flags on internet services providers have REALLY been escalated now.

By the way - Hotspot Shield returned 'great speeds'. Took it back off the computer because I didn't understand the toolbar addon and thought that it was not a good thing (as AVAST informed me also). Now that I understand better I will be reinstalling because I think HSS might very well be a fine VPN FREE FREE FREE solution. I am using it with Firefox - thus I have no issues with ad pop ups because of ADBlock Plus being installed. Overall nice experience. Just didn't understand it fully up front. Will now reinstall.

Dekade

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sorry to hear of your experience with a VPN, sadly some good some bad and you now know a bad service.

I have to say thanks for the mini review of HSS, please do let us know how you get in over a period of a few months with it and if you do a longer review of Pros an Cons from your personal experience that would be awesome if you have the time.

18. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Will do.

19. plodr

I generally walk away from any "free trials" that want my credit card information "just in case". There are ways to stop trials from working after the grace period so there is no need for a good company to have my credit card information until I decide to buy.

I even refused to give googleplay credit card info on my Android tablet. They ask from time to time but I keep declining. If I decide I want something that is a pay app, I'll buy a googleplay loaded card and use that to buy what I want.

20. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

I can't think/recall/remember, but not a 100% certain, Hotspot Shield Free did not ask for a credit card. In fact now I remember - they didn't - I surely would have remembered giving it to them. However, when I got mixed up with Private Internet Access I just flat out bought because I was taken in and sold by their marketing. Man, what a mess.

Nonetheless - I agree on the credit card issue - I really don't think i have done that for anything on the internet; even with PayPal at my fingertips. I do like the Googleplay loaded card idea that you put out on the table. I did not know that was available. I try not to spend my days getting sucked in with "playing" with my computer. An obvious distraction when my computer is really supposed to be a SOHO working tool for me. Thanks plodr.

21. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Eldon said:
    I need elaboration on the above comment.

1) Who or what is Zucky?
    2) How do we know when someone is tracking us. How did Eldon know when he was being tracked?
    3) Does TOS = Terms of Service?
    4) What is CG?
    5) What is 'his' "flock"? Is it a related forum/help desk/etc.?

I just want to make certain of this stuff as I start to go "deep" into VPN. I would like to accommodate DavidGP with a comprehensive review on HotSpot. Hope that isn't the Zucky.rolleyes

22. Eldon

For a moment I thought you are joking...

1. Mark Zuckerberg.
    2. Abine's DoNotTrackMe displays a notification each time it blocks a tracker.
    3. Yes.
    4. Community Guidelines.
    5. People who have insulted me for complaining about being tracked by Facebook on websites not owned by Facebook.
    Disqus tracks me on Majorgeeks. No problem, because I use Disqus on MajorGeeks.

23. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Nope. I was serious. Just not connecting some dots. Fully aware of the Facebook scene - of which I have never bought into.

24. Eldon

I must confess... your last sentence in post #21 had me laughing. Not at you, but the way you put it!

I'm with DavidGP, please keep us posted on your experience with HotSpot Shield. Next month I'm going to try SecurityKiss Tunnel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds