Can't record sound through 'Stereo Mix'

Discussion in 'Software' started by marketeris, Feb 15, 2015.

1. marketeris

marketeris Private E-2

Experts
    I am trying to record something that is playing through my speakers, but it just records nothing, only short static noises every couple of seconds...
    My system is XP SP3, Intel M/B (probably D915GAV but I'm not sure) with integrated sound chip (ALC860) and the whole driver issue seems to be messed up. When I originally got the computer it had 4 sound drivers already installed: 2 Realtek (97&HD), one KB888111 and one standard driver (SoundMax IIRC that came with the M/B CD). I already uninstalled everything except for Realtek HD Audio and KB888111 (Otherwise the PC will lose sound).

Two issues:
    1. Although I see 2 sound drivers installed in Add/Remove Programs ("Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" and "High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB888111"), in Device Manager this is what I see:
    http://i57.tinypic.com/2dh89r5.jpg
    2. I cannot uninstall the current Realtek HD driver (R1.25). It gives me a weird error message upon the start:
    http://i59.tinypic.com/fm6phx.png

My questions:
    1. What is the correct driver that I should use in order to have sound and have the ability to record from 'Stereo Mix' successfully, that fits my integrated Motherboard or ALC860 chip?
    2. How can I get rid of that faulty Realtek driver?
    3. Do I really need that Microsoft UAA audio driver? (I mean, right now it is the only option to have working sounds on my PC, but not recording)

Please, this has been frustrating me forever :cry

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to install the driver for the onboard audio from the motherboard support CD. Download and install Speccy. It's free and recommended by MajorGeeks. Click audio and you'll see the onboard audio device. Tell us or take a snapshot and post it.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. marketeris

marketeris Private E-2

Hello Eldon,
    Here is the screenshot: http://i62.tinypic.com/2znpa2e.png
    I already opened the case up and I clearly saw a chip with "ALC860" written on it. (the chip was probably made by Realtek)
    I don't understand. Your suggestion is to leave everything as is and install the 10 year old Intel (or SoundMax, whatever it's called) audio driver above all others?
    Won't it lead to driver collision? LOL

4. Eldon

Windows XP is more than 10 years old.

Looking at the screenshot - under Playback Device you have HD Audio Capture, and under Recording Device you have HD Audio Renderer. That doesn't make sense even though I'm not familiar with the Microsoft UUA Function Driver. Recently I read about problems with that driver. Look at my snapshot.

I suggets you visit Realtek or the motherboard manufacturer's website and search for the latest Realtek 880/860 driver for Windows XP SP3. That's if the driver on the motherboard CD doesn't work for Stereo Mix.

PS Open Audio Properties and see if you can change the playback and recording devices.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. marketeris

marketeris Private E-2

Thanks, I will do that.
    Still 2 questions remain:
    What's the difference between the Intel and Realtek drivers?
    and how can I overcome that Realtek driver uninstall error (see my 1st post)?
    :cry

6. Eldon

Most motherboards have VIA or Realtek onboard audio. I don't see any Intel driver in your Speccy screenshot.

Open Device Manager and disable the Realtek device under Sound, video and game controllers. Then try to uninstall it.

In your original post you said "Intel M/B (probably D915GAV but I'm not sure)". Check with Speccy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. marketeris

marketeris Private E-2

Uninstallation did not work after removing the other driver, it pops up that same error again.
    I now have no sound in my PC.

Speccy says it is D915GAV. I downloaded the audio driver that appears there, started the setup, guess what:
    http://i57.tinypic.com/mjn4h1.png

9. Eldon

Two things.

Have you disabled the driver in Device Manager prior to uninstalling? Try Revo Uninstaller to remove the current driver.

Have you tried to install the driver from the M/B support CD?

If all else fails, start in Safe Mode and uninstall the driver.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  10. marketeris

marketeris Private E-2

I disabled it before, yes.
    Sound and Audio devices control panel shows "no audio device".
    I couldn't install the driver from motherboard CD, it gave me the same error message from my last post.
    In Safe Mode I get this: http://i60.tinypic.com/2ilexww.png

11. Eldon

Just to be sure... have you?

1. Tried to uninstall the driver from Device Manager.
    2. Tried to uninstall the driver using Revo Uninstaller.
    3. Downloaded and tried installing the driver recommended by plodr.
    :confused

12. plodr

Eldon how do you "uninstall a driver" using Revo Uninstaller?

13. Eldon

Any driver that is installed by the user, not by Windows, can be uninstalled. Just like a program. And I think you know that. Also, onboard audio drivers are not installed by Windows. At least not Windows XP.

I have onboard VIA HD Audio. It is listed in Revo Uninstaller Free and Pro. It is also listed in Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP. The same applies to Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver. Both were installed by me. Both can be uninstalled by me. :wave

marketeris,
    I do apologize. With onboard Realtek HD Audio, in Windows XP, you must first install the Microsoft UAA Function Driver, then the Realtek driver.

PS Did you ever have Stereo Mix? And if you did, did you recently update the audio driver?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  14. plodr

So where does Revo list the drivers? All I see are 32 bit installed programs.

15. Eldon

In the snapshot you'll see the Intel Graphics Driver - light blue square. Bottom row, in the middle, you'll see the audio driver. But, it will only be listed if the user installed the driver. Onboard graphics drivers are usually installed by Windows. Onboard audio drivers must be installed by the user - definitely in Windows XP.

I think it's because, with the driver install, comes a program. The good old days of drivers just being drivers are gone. I don't think it's because I'm using Revo Uninstaller Pro. They were also listed in the Free version.

I'm also posting snapshots of the 'programs'.

PS I just remembered - aren't you using the portable version of Revo Uninstaller that only displays 32-bit programs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  16. plodr

No, not a portable version. The computer I looked at is a 32 bit install of Win 7 Home Prem. and no drivers are shown, just programs.
    (I keep the portable version for use on senior citizens' computers when I travel to do some cleaning up).

17. Eldon

My first screenshot shows the sound & graphics programs that are part of the installs.

To the best of my knowledge, if I uninstall those programs (with Windows or Revo), the drivers will uninstall. But, if I uninstall the drivers from Device Manager, those programs wont uninstall.

Kindly help me right if I'm wrong.

18. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

@marketeris

Check in services and make sure the Windows Audio service is present, set to Automatic, and running. I'm not sure, but without that running I don't think you can even install audio drivers. If it isn't in the service list at all, let us know and we can fix that in the registry.

Sounds like you have some registry corruption due to the driver install/uninstall routine. This isn't uncommon. If you have the System Restore service running (it is by default - users have to manually shut it off), you can try a restore to before you tried dealing with the drivers. I suggest doing a restore in Safe Mode with Command Prompt . . . just type windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the prompt and hit return. Wait for the Restore module to start.

If the restore service has been turned off, there are other things we can try. Doing a restore this way is the easiest and fastest way to reset things so you can have another go at the driver issue.

19. Eldon

marketirs,

The link provided by plodr (thanks) is for the latest driver. Have you downloaded and tried to install it? That just may solve all your problems.

Quote:
    Audio: Realtek* ALCxxx Driver
    Installs the audio driver for IntelĀ® Desktop Boards with IntelĀ® High Definition Audio and the Realtek* codec. (WHQL certified)
    OS: Windows 2000 *, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*

20. plodr

1. Download the driver from the link.
    2. Open Device Manager and then expand Sound Video and Game Controllers. (It might be tagged differently in XP; I'm currently on a Win 7 computer and I'd had to reboot to see). I'll do that in about 1/2 hour and re-post anything that might be inaccurate.
    3. Right click on High Definition Audio Device and select Update Driver Software.
    4. Select Browse my computer for Driver Software and point it to the driver you've downloaded in step #1 above.

21. Eldon

plodr, until the OP responds...

I think I solved your isssue with sound/graphics drivers/programs not showing in Revo. I you bought the PC with Windows pre-installed, those drivers will have been installed. The manufacturer or supplier could have deleted those 'listings'. It's a safety measure.

It's possible to do just that with CCleaner.
    Yesterday I 'deleted' a program in CCleaner. It did not show in Programs and Features or Revo Uninstaller. I had to find the program's uninstall file to uninstall it. Have a look at the snapshot.

Attached Files:

22. plodr

The computer I looked at that has Windows 7 which was installed by me.
    The computer was purchased by me with XP on it.

23. Eldon

I running out of possible reasons.

What sound does the Windows 7 PC have? Realtek & VIA Onboard Audio drivers have to be installed. They are not included in Windows. Or did you use Windows Update?

Onboard graphics drivers are usually included in Windows. I manually installed the latest drivers because Bluestacks did not want to install without them.

I have both Windows XP Professional & Windows 7 Ultimate on a partitioned hard disc. And what I did applies to both. And both show the drivers in Revo & Add or Remove Programs / Programs and Features.

BTW I'm using Revo Uninstaller Pro 3.1.1.

Snapshot - first & last on the list.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  24. plodr

It says High Definition Audio Device. (Win 7)
    This is what I found under specs/reviews of my low end eMachine computer
    "supports 5.1-channel high-definition audio".
    I've never had to install a driver and the sound is very good probably due to my old Cambridge Soundworks speakers.

25. Eldon

I think this is the answer we're looking for. The driver will only show in the list of programs if installed by the user. I have used Windows Update only once to download & install drivers for my previous Samsung smartphone, and they didn't show in the list of programs.

BTW I have my PC connected to a National Panasonic music centre that was bought in 1980! Using Winamp, I have great sound.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds