Missing Icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I thought computers were only supposed to do what they were directed to do. It would appear mine has a mind of its own.

Today, I went to open Wise Care 365 (version 1.8) on my Hewlett-Packard s5770uk-m PC (running Windows 7 HP (x64) SP1) to find that it was no longer on the taskbar. So, I went to find the application (.exe) in the directory to create a shortcut on the taskbar. However, the PC also seems to have lost Wisecare’s icon. All it will put on the taskbar is the generic icon I attach as a jpeg image.

I don’t need assistance with putting Wisecare back on my taskbar but would like to know if and how I can get the correct icon back.

I’ve considered the possibility of malware doing this but (a) everything else seems to be working fine and (b) my malware protection software hasn’t detected anything.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mark

I would re-install the app again and see if that helps, can install over the top of the original install, its kind of like a repair and see if that helps restore the icon.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My icon for Malwarebytes sometimes changes to a generic. It is not malware, just a corrupted icon cache. Why does it get corrupted? I haven't a clue. It doesn't happen often, thank goodness.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Same goes for my desktop icon for MalwareBytesAntiMalware, in fact it's generic right now. Irritating but completely unimportant. Only ever happens to MBAM though, nothing else, so must be an MBAM problem.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Create the shortcut to WiseCare on the desktop. Right-click the shortcut, click Properties, click Change Icon. By default the icons in WiseCare will show. If they don't, navigate to the WiseCare.exe file. Then select the icon, click OK, Apply, OK.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I thought 'sure, I'll just do that to fix my missing MBAM icon' - and it didn't work! Digging a bit further I discovered that some of my folder view options had somehow got changed, particularly hide extensions for known file types. After I'd unchecked that it worked.

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good to know the MBAM icon is restored.

Hopefully your experience and my advice will help the other members.

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I'm really glad I started this thread. It appears to have helped a number of people besides me.

My problem is now fixed and I want to thank everyone for their help.

I tried Eldon's solution but it didn't work until Earthling added the information about the hidden file extensions.

I knew it wasn't a major problem it's just one of those annoying things that make you wonder why they happen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds