xp registration

Discussion in 'Software' started by big_problem, Aug 19, 2006.

1. big_problem

big_problem Private E-2

Long story short.

Bought computer 5 yrs ago, preinstalled with xp home.

Upgraded to xp pro. Lost cd key for xp pro

Lost everything for xp home also. (House renovation.........)
    Except CD Key which is stuck on the machine, the official hologram sticker.

I bought a new hard drive installed xp home, with someone elses cd but my official cd key. Apparently my cd key is fake

The only proof I have that it is real, is the sticker which has all of the correct features.

Am I viable for another cd key for free from microsoft, I can send them the cdkey sticker if I have to. I have tried the microsoft website but I cannot find anywhere to report my situation.

(P.S when I bought the computer, I was young and did not know much about computers. I had to take the computer to a local shop sometimes to have the hard drive formatted etc. I think that the people at the shop may have used my cd key and registered it while I was using xp pro)

Thankssssssss for reading.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Am I viable for another cd key for free from Microsoft, I can send them the cd key sticker if I have to. I have tried the Microsoft website but I cannot find anywhere to report my situation. <<

You might try Contacting Microsoft; that is if you actually 'own' the copy of XP on the PC or laptop.

However I'm pretty sure that you'll have to "prove" that you actually bought XP - like store or credit card receipt or something. And you'll likely need more proof than just a sticker with a number on it - which can be 'ripped off' of anyone’s computer. Even if you sent this to them; they have no way of verifying whether or not it is actually your sticker and/or whether actually paid for it unless you can come up with a receipt or something the links: YOU + Payment + the Microsoft XP name on it.

I know this is at least "possible" because I teach an internet class for beginners - disabled students at a local university - one afternoon a week. One the students in my class had a similar problem and contacted Microsoft directly via emailing their support, explaining the situation (total hard drive failure; no longer has the key, etc).

Microsoft wrote back and asked her to send proof that she 'actually owned' the XP on the hard drive. She sent them a copy of the store receipt which had the price that she originally paid, her full name, and Microsoft XP Professional printed out on it.

Within about two weeks Microsoft sent her a new license and product key. They also sent her instructions as to how to install (and then activate) the XP on her new hard drive. I'm no 'fan' of WPA, but in my student's case at least - she was able to install the XP on her new hard drive with a new license.

This link will point you in that direction: Contacting Microsoft; (Phone #s, Support Options, Online Help).

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

The os you used from your friends was a little different than yours, it might have had sp2 and your original had sp1, it will know the difference. Now they may not activate the copy that is on there now, they may replace your old disc, if your sticker is on the pc, they are obligated to activate the set of original windows for your pc. Be nice when you call, they aint that tough. ed

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If your machine came with XP home installed, you have an OEM version. Not in all cases will a shelf bought XP CD work with an OEM key.

If you call Microsoft expecting to get them to replace your XP CD, they will tell you that it is the PC manufacturers responsibility. Call the maker of your PC to get a new XP CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds