Microsoft Excel Issue, +'s turning to ,'s

Discussion in 'Software' started by xdorkx, Feb 2, 2009.

1. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Hey Geeks,

One of my users is having an excel (2003) issue, where if he types in a + or * symbol, it becomes a ,

So 1+1, for example, becomes 1,1
    1*1, also becomes 1,1

I've done a full reset of settings, and even did a full office un-install, ran ccleaner, and did a re-install.

I'm sure this is something simple, but even OUR Excel guy is not quite sure...as what I did should have fixed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :)

Jeff

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Expressions such as 1+1 or 1*1 should be preceded by an = sign. I'm assuming a calculation is intended.

3. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

This is correct, however, the + changes to a , before the = can even be typed.

4. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

If Needed, I can make a quick screen capture and post it up.... (quick 15 second mpeg-2, or wmv video)

5. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Here is a quick video of this happening:

[​IMG]

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Are you entering the = sign first, before typing any other characters in the cell? I see no equal sign in your screen print.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Watch the video I just posted below, i'm typing just this: 1+1, no space, no = before it or anything. It works fine on MY computer and comes out right, but on one of my end users pc's it's changing it to a comma.

Thanks. :)

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Let's see now. You acknowledged your that intent is to do calculation in the cell, yet you have not entered an = sign at the beginning of the expression as I suggested. Why not?

By the way, I see no link to a video.

9. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

You didn't say that was a suggestion, you merely asked if I was doing it or not. I'll try on the users pc and see if that makes a difference. If not, i'll ask him for an example of a specific string he's typing up.

Thanks

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This was not a mere suggestion, or a question. It was a statement.

11. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Sorry, was confusing the posts in here. I read pre-ceeded as "after" like the not quite awake person that I am, LOL my bad

He's using =1+1, and it's doing the same thing with an error message.
    Thanks again, and sorry if I mis-read your earlier post. :cry :-o
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  12. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

On another note, do you still not see the video links? i'm hosting two videos on photobucket, there should be visible images of excel in this thread, which link to quick videos showing the actions in excel.

Thanks again

13. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, I saw the video. Well, I'm not sure what to suggest. I can't duplicate the behavior your Excel user is encountering since my Excel works right.

Does that computer have any macros saved in Excel? Can you say that computer is free of viruses and malware?

You might post your question at http://www.excelforum.com/, also. Please post back if you find a solution.

14. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Thank you very much. I'll check out that forum and be sure to do that.

Regarding Viruses and spyware, we're pretty hardcore about that too and usually do a quick scan when anything 'weird' is happening. I'll post back if I find a solution, thanks again. :)

15. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

RESOLVED

*sigh*

Tools/Auto Correct Options
    Auto Correct + to ,
    Auto Correct * to ,

DELETED BOTH! :dancer

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Thanks for letting us know the solution you discovered. I'm surprised to hear it, considering that you uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

17. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Yeah me too. Before that, I even reset to default settings. Ran CCleaner, restarted (twice), etc

Very strange, kinda funny though now that it's all over.

Thanks for your input :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds