Ipod Videos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wmarkj, May 25, 2006.

1. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I cannot find info on web searches, and the sales clerk at Apple was vague in reply. I am trying to figure out if I buy a Video IPod, if one can put their own DVD movies they own, or their family DVD's created, or DVD sermons from Church on to the unit. The clerk replied that "Apples does not support that", leaving the impression it could be done, but vague/nonresponsive. If it can be done, how large gb unit should I buy to be able to put a reasonable number of DVD's onto the unit?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

Went to the Apple store again, for an accessory. Asked the rep again about movies to IPod. He said the IPod nano plays mpeg4's. I assume that is what the clone product in the previous link converts to? Anyway, I was curious if anyone has any idea why the reps at the Apple store are so guarded and vague on this discussion? Is there a some reason Apple wants to minimize knowledge of the ability to do this?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Its illegal to put DVDs on your Ipod video, dont know why but i know for sure that it is. Probably why they arent telling you about it ;) However, its OK if you want to back it up to a different disk. Strange, hmmm? But its not like they are gonna go around and check to see if you have a DVD on your Ipod so RIP AWAY! lol

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The ipod is a disk drive. Feel free to use it as a back-up device.

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

lol it would be interesting to see you defend youself in a court case with that, maybe it would work....maybe more believable if the screen was busted or sumthin

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's a gray area in the law. No case concerning it has ever went to trial. No legal action has been taken against anyone for doing so and it is highly unlikely that it will ever change. The Apple store employees simply don't want to expose themselves to potential litigation.

And yes, the Clone DVDMobile will convert it to an Apple compatible MP4 file. Both have a 21 day unrestricted trial period to test them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds