Windows disk size and partition size not equal

Discussion in 'Software' started by saomiguel8, Jan 25, 2009.

1. saomiguel8

saomiguel8 Private E-2

After attempting to resize my main partition to create a separate partition on the same HD, windows XP shows C: as being about 54GB, which is the size I wanted it to be, but the disk management utility shows it at a full 80GB. So I can't create that second partition yet. Everything boots and works correctly but now I have a missing 26 GB. What might be the issue and what can I do to fix it short of reinstalling windows? Thank you in advance for help.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How did you resize it? Get Easeus partition manager and see how it reads the drive.

3. saomiguel8

saomiguel8 Private E-2

I used Easeus to partition in the first place. When I tryed to increase the partition back full it gave me an error immediately saying there is a problem with the drive. Then restarted the PC. In Easeus it reads it as a full 80GB partition.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I hate giving partition advice because it is so easy to mess things up badly. I thought Easeus was a pretty good freeware utility. This is the first I heard of someone having problems with it. I only use Acronis because of bad experiences with Partition Magic but others will say the opposite.

Since your partition table seems to have errors it is up to you if you want to try and fix it. TestDisk is probably the most powerful tool for partition tables but I would recommend reading carefully before using it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    http://www.howtoforge.com/data_recovery_with_testdisk

Good Luck! :)

5. saomiguel8

saomiguel8 Private E-2

I'll take a look and give it a shot. Already backing things up so worst case is a clean install. Thanks for the help I'll get back to you with how it goes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds