How to jam wireless signal?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by mj19710, Aug 25, 2007.

1. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

Hi,
    I would like to disable my teen's ability to use a "stolen" wireless connection in her bedroom without her necessarily knowing I'm the cause. Is there a way to do that?
    Thank you,
    a Mom

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Only governments may jam or interfere with radio-telecommunications. Most jurisdictions have laws that prohibit jamming except by explicit permission granted by the governing authority. In Canada it's the CRTC. If you do so, willfully and without permission, you may be breaking one or more laws in your region.

3. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

Ok, thank you.

4. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

just a single parent looking for answers instead of battles. I generally lose the battles.

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

The connection should be plugged at the source - ie: one of your neighbors needs to secure their machine. It's likely the neighbor that's physically closest to your teen's room. Ask around. I'll bet one of your neighbor's will be glad of the info. After all, if your teen can log in, imagine what a low life scum sucker could do.:)

6. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

Um, Prometheos? Another question, please? I live in a close quarters condo community. There are several unsecured wireless connections that generally show up on our "view wireless networks" screen - two have kind of names in them, like versions of last names. I might be able to track down those. But what does "linksys" mean? Isn't that a generic system that I won't be able to find the source of? I realize I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Thanks again!

7. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

LinkSys is the default name used by wireless routers made by LinkSys (now part of Cisco). You should tell all of your neighbors that they need to proper configure the security settings on their wireless networks. Their own security (especially financial) could be at risk. You can get more help and ask more questions on this kind of topic in the Networking Forum.

8. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

Hey ChasLang,
    Thank you - that clears up that little mystery for me. I appreciate the assist.

9. helpdan

helpdan Private E-2

hi mj also dont let your teen no your MG's user are they could read your posts, which im sure could cause some tension too.

10. mj19710

mj19710 Private E-2

Good point, thank you! I'm pretty sure she's as clueless as I am, well, not really. But I'll guard against her discovering me!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds