Web pages keep randomly "jumping" to...

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 6, 2009.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

My web pages keep randomly "jumping" to this --> http://search.yahoo.com/web?fr=mcafee - ever since I updated to FF3 a day or two ago.

Now, I do use yahoo, and I use McAfee (Site Advisor) - but why do my pages keep resetting like this, by themselves, and how can I stop (FIX) it?

Thanks in advance ...

2. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

It could be possible that there is a bug in the McAfee Site advisor that is constantly searching mcafee and with your default search page as yahoo its jumping to that link im unsure of a fix atm mainly because i dont use mcafee... however if your willing to type about:config into the address bar in firefox and have a look around in there (try not to change something if you are unsure on what it is). i will try get back to this but atm im having dinner

3. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

okay ive gone through about:config (fairly quickly im busy atm) and couldnt find anything that would possibly be doing this. try disabling the mcafee site advisor addon with firefox3 (im assuming there is one)

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you. I've disabled the McAfee add-on for now, and I'll hold-off to see if that clears things up.

I suppose if it does, perhaps an uninstall/reinstall might set things right again?

I do like Site Advisor, and I also use Yahoo's (Safe) "SearchScan" (often one of those programs will list something as "bad" that the other does not) - but I just noticed that Yahoo's is "Beta". Perhaps that is the problem(?).

Thanks again, and I'll report back any progress (or lack thereof).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Lost my edit time (once again).

What's interesting to me is that Yahoo's is "Powered by McAfee" (?!?).

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you. I have viewed that list before, but didn't recall seeing SA on it.

The Y toolbar is not "active" (visible) on my browser (though "traces" may be buried in this PC?).

I'll read through "the fix". Thank you again.
    Glenn

8. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

well i hope you get things fixed up :) good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds