XP Home Network problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swede109, Jan 27, 2007.

1. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

Hello
    I’m trying to complete a wire network installation at my home with three desktop computers all running XP Home.

Cisco DSL modem and a Linksys router.

The problem is;
    When I go to My Network Places, at any one computer I can only see ONE other computers’ shared folder. When I am at computer A for example, I should be able to see TWO shared folders. I should see a Shared Folder for computer B and one for computer C. But I can only see ONE other Shared Folder. IF I am at Computer C, I can only see computer A’s Shared Folder. If I’m at computer B, I can only see computer C’s Shared Folder, etc.
    What I have done so far;

Tested continuity on Ethernet connections – good.
    Ran ipconfig on all computers and recorded IP data in Internet Protocal properties. DNS Servers are filled in.
    Network card drivers are up to date.
    McAfee VC ver 9.99, under Manage Network enabled admin rights to all computers.
    With windows firewall on, and off, ran network wizard on all three computers. Selecting;
    “This computer connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub.”

Network name is the same on all computers.

Turn on file and printer sharing is selected.

Opened Explore and found Shared Documents on all computers and enabled sharing and selected;
    Share this folder on the network

Allow network users to change my files
    (There is no Permissions tab in XP Home)

Help and Support Center;
    Use TOOLS to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
    Selected Network Diagnosis. Scan Passed.

All three computers successfully share one printer.

So again why can I not see the two other computers Shared Folders on any one of the networked computers?confused

Thanks so much for the help.:)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you setup and used the exact same user profile (User name and password) on all three computers?

3. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

Hi..
    Well actually, the machine I use primarily (A), has only one user login, (randy) and its computer name is 'randy'.

My wife's machine is called 'debbie' has two user logins me, (randy) and my wife (debbie).

My daughter machine is called 'cheryl' and has no login or password, in fact none of the machines have passwords

Hope this answers your question..:)

4. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Try going to "run" in the start menu, then typing in "\\x.x.x.x ( x = ip address octets)" or "\\randy" or whatever computer name you're trying to connect to. Windows work-groups are garbage sometimes and this is the only way I can access some computers on my network sometimes.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds