Anyone have a Droid X yet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BluesMan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

I am about ready to send my BB storm to the bottom of the ocean. Droid X looks pretty cool and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the X yet, good or bad.

I'm on Verizon so phone choice is a little limited, but basically thinking about getting away from BB and going to some sort of Droid. The HTC Incredible looks good as well...

Thoughts?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I think you and I are on the same renewal schedule, Blues. LOL I remember getting my Storm around the same time as you. I can upgrade in December with Verizon.

I'll probably get a Droid. I have a feeling new ones will be coming out. Verizon is planning on starting up their 4G network sometime soon (November?). From what I've read, they are testing it now in a couple of areas.

The X and Incredible both get great reviews though.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Min contract is up in October. I was going to pick up the Android phone as well..

4. LauraR

This thread just got me doing a little research and I found that it's not all that easy to sync up to Outlook on a droid, and it may not be possible with a 64bit machine.:(

5. BluesMan

CoWorker got one and it's pretty slick. It's rather large and weighs about the same as my BB Storm 1. Tried to find a good source for possible upcoming Verizon phones but didn't have a lot of success. Doesn't look like to many new phones are coming for Verizon in the near future. After actually playing with the X for a bit on Friday i'm starting to wonder if the smaller form factor of the D2 or Incredible would be a better fit for me. I do have big hands and texting is a lot easier on the X, but I'm not so sure about lugging one around all over the place.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I think the 64 bit thing is only with the 64 bit version of office. 32 bit should be ok.

7. BluesMan

8. LauraR

Nothing says sexy like a Star Wars phone!

9. LejaBeatz

LejaBeatz Private E-2

I just got one last week. It was between the X and the D2 for me. The X is pretty cool so far. Its light and thin by my standards. Quick and responsive. I was sold on the 720 HD video. Go to the Verizon store and "play" with a few different phones. Thats what I did. I thought I would miss having a physical keyboard, but I don't. (I went from an LG VX8300 flip phone, to the X) Very Happy

10. BluesMan

so I start reading online today about the different droids, gearing up for a purchase next week, and see now there is a Droid 2 Pro coming out soon. Is it me or are they really pumping the market with these devices? How the heck are you supposed to keep up with them at this pace? rolleyes

11. LauraR

I think that's the point of all tech. They want you to want the latest and greatest so that even if you have a working [insert type tech here], you'll still spend money.

Besides that, there are a number of companies producing these phones, so we are going to continue to see new models regularly. I think if you want one, just like with computers, buy the most recent ones you can. *shrug*

12. BluesMan

Ahhhh.....3 battery pulls today, phone ringing and no one on the other end, it's driving me crazy!! Gotta sweet talk my wife into a Droid tonight.

Did I mention how much I hate this Storm1 phone? :cry :-D

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'll let you know after the 10th :) I'm upgrading.

14. LauraR

Awesome. Which one?

Do you use Outlook? I'd love to hear from someone who uses it for their calendar and syncs to a Droid.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I was looking at an Android 2 version. Battery life seemed better and I didn't need the wifi if I am going to buy the data package.

Yes, I use outlook and I'll let you know how it syncs.

16. BluesMan

So I decided to exercise my insurance option on the Storm. And guess what, they are sending me another Storm1. Yeah that's right, a discontinued model phone. I have a feeling this replacement will have the same problems as the one I'm sending back. Oh well I wonder what the next replacement phone will be, I have warranty/insurance threw Nov 21st.

17. BluesMan

So I get the replacement 9530 and call to make sure I wipe the old device correctly, tech offers to call me back on another line and walk me threw the setup of the replacement to make sure things get activated correctly so I say sure. The tech yesterday told me to make sure they switch my pin in my new phone so BB messenger works, etc. I tell that to the tech tonight and after 40 mins of him looking threw stuff, he tells me to call black berry as they would be able to help me better than he could. :confused

to top it off while activating the phone and entering my security pin, the screen went black and it kicked me out. Oh what fun that was. Installed facebook, said the install was successful, try to open face book and now I get nothing but java errors.

My guess is this phone is going to have the same issues my current one does. Woohoo!! :yum

18. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I wonder how it would look at 100yds down range :)

19. BluesMan

It didn't even last 3 phone calls and completely died. Now they are sending me a Storm2. What a bunch of punks!

Should arrive tomorrow, provided someone is home to sign for it, then we'll see if it's any better. At least it has WiFi :-D

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-DROID-X-US-EN

The phone is pretty amazing.

Initial impressions.

Pro's:
    Fast. Very fast
    -Browser is a "fully qualified" browser. Javascript support. Flash support.. thank god, finally !!!
    -touch screen is very accurate (depends on hardware)
    -good motion sensor (depends on hardware)
    -screen resolution is good (depends on hardware)
    -supports HD (depends on hardware)
    -interface is well done and easy to use (8 /10 on this)
    -direct link to google account

Cons:
    -return to previous requires a button press, not a gesture (tell me I'm wrong here. I'd love to be).
    -battery life is not as long as the Droid2
    -Can't sync with outlook without a third party app (WTF WERE YOU SMOKING WHEN YOU DECIDED ON THIS ONE, GOOGLE NERDS!!!!)
    -direct link to google account.

I'm not a huge fan of the account being REQUIRED to use a google account. If you don't have one, you'll have to get one to use the phone. Kind of sucks unless you don't care. I'd much rather a completely "unlinked" account system. To me, this screams security hierarchy/linked risk which is a security risk that is a f(x). But, I waved that risk in lieu of having features that I desired for a long time.

Other notes. Lots of apps when you install will tell you what they have access to on your phone. PAY ATTENTION to this!!!!!!!!! some apps will have access to your GPS location, CONTACTS etc. (see pandora app for example). I don't fully know why or what they CAN do with the details they have access to.

Also, google is VERY, VERY social network friendly on this phone. I Personally, absolutely despise, abhor and recommend AGAINST social networking in its current form, ala FaceBook.

In closing. Be cautious and understand that you are now being tied to google's system.

If you're social network bug, aka "Snug"TM or "Snuggie" (-Jim Losi 2010 (c)), be aware that should your phone be compromised, it goes beyond them having your contacts and any data on your phone. Any linked accounts are now theirs as well.

I'm not trying to scare anyone here.. just trying to raise awareness that vigilance is warranted as we progress, technologically, toward a social, p2p, uber connected society. Your phone is entering the age of required protection which rivals that of the use of sexually protective "utilities". In other words, you should consider this kind of device, tantamount to your junk or lady bits (pick your gender), and you should disallow anyone from using your phone unless you would...well.. let them touch your stuff.

21. BluesMan

Touch my monkey! Feel Him! Love Him!

*ooops.. inside voice* :-o

22. LauraR

That, Kodo, was one hell of a review.

I'm enlightened and amused all at the same time. I don't let anyone touch my phone (or computer) anyway, so no worries about cell molestation. :-D

k...so to the Outlook and using the 3rd party app...easy, hard, pain in the butt?

Should I just stick with my Blackberry?

23. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I didn't spend 40 bucks on the app.
    I just transferred my contacts to my google contacts via the importing feature in the google account, and then sync'd the phone up. You can do something similar with the calendar. It's free, and I can spend the extra 5 mins to do that for now. Especially after spending what I did for the phone.

Would I recommend you stick with your BB? that's a hard question. I'm not a huge fan of black berry devices. They are clunky. I thought Android was smooth or at least the best "fixture" out there for smart phones. If you're willing to forgo some of the con's I mentioned, then I would do it. An lesser expensive model + the syncing app and you're back in business. And, yes, I would plunk the money down for a GOOD sync app if you didn't want to have go through hoops. The free ones didn't work very well or at all judging from some of the comments (ymmv).

I went from a Win Mobile phone (fully sync capable) to Android with full knowledge of this problem. If that gives you any insight.. but again ymmv.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  24. BluesMan

Replacement phone still not delivered yet. No phone to fiddle with. Having withdrawals, ugh... :-D

25. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Couple more lines and a chorus, and you could have an awesome metal song ;)

26. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Man, this phone is REALLY tied to google. If you don't have a google account, it makes one for you and associates your activities with it per the license agreement. Funny thing.. I had to buy the phone to see the license agreement. NOT happy at all.

27. BluesMan

Hearing you say this is making me want to skip all the "fancy features" of the X or other droidish phones and upgrade to a BB Bold and stay behind the times a bit. :cry

28. LauraR

29. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I took a risk that I was only somewhat aware of. Apparently it was much worse than I thought.
    1. I figured goog would tie in their services
    2. I figured they'd let you sync with their services with your gmail account

However,
    1. I figured you'd be able to have a stand alone.. you can, sort of.. it just makes a ghost account for you.
    2. I figured you'd have the ability to download apps and configure what access they have .. not so much; and this is the part that pisses me off.
    3. I figured I'd have much more control over privacy.. and it's not the case.

30. BluesMan

Well I was about to pull the trigger on an X but it's rumored that he HTC Incredible HD is going to hit in a few weeks. Wondering how much better it will be than the X...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds