File Extensions

Discussion in 'Software' started by durkinjt, Feb 26, 2011.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

I just went to open an e-mail and got the message there was no matching file extension. Of course with this message is 3 or 4 programs suggested, all of which are not free. I have had this happen a few times in the past and never followed up on it. Are there any programs available to get these extensions for free? T.I.A.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You didn't say which extension you don't have an application for.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What was the file extention and what is the email client you are using as well as the Windows version and Service Pack?

4. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

wpostx, Windows 7 Sevice pack 1. Thanks for the reply.

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Never heard of the wpostx extension.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If its a wpostx file then you may need Windows Live Writer to open then as its a file format that that app uses, I use this app alot to blog by and some users so send the main blog file over the text at times.

Windows Live Writer

Has also been linked to Windows fax and scan but if you dont have a compatible version of Windows with Fax and Scan option then your out of luck.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not sure if this is the case here, but there do seem to be some reported issues with opening files post-SP1.
    Currently the bottom posting on this Technet page.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds