Windows 10 Technical Preview

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I installed this last night and initially accepted the default settings which include IE as default browser and Bing as search engine. In the Win 8.1.1 system it was 'upgrading' Firefox was default browser and Google was default search engine. The upshot was that neither IE nor Firefox will now run at all :-D

I'm not concerned about this as this isn't my main system, but clearly the Win 10 preview contains some serious bugs at present so I just wanted to advise ppl not to rush into this on a computer they depend upon for more serious use.

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I am waiting for the final release before upgrading my computer to windows 10. I am currently happy with windows 8.1 pro at the moment.

3. Earthling

I just want to take a look at it. I imaged 8.1.1 first and am intending restoring it to a different partition and dual booting. All takes a fair bit of time though.

4. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

what is windows 8.1.1 I only got windows 8.1

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yeah, what is Windows 8.1.1? Did M$ release a Service Pack? I'm running 8.1 Pro as well.

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Where do you download the update its not come through windows updates

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Burned the ISO, but haven't installed it on the HDD partition yet.

Looks like a hybrid from the screenshots.

9. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

ah just checked the 2nd link in your post joeray and it seems I already have the update installed

10. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

But I did heard that Microsoft are releasing a service pack for windows 8.1 but not sure when.

11. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The link that _nullptr gave us has links for the 6 updates that comprise the "Service Pack".I'm going to check my installed updates to see which, if any, I'm missing.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

Looking forward to the consumer preview of 10, which is in January 21st, I do believe. All the leaks I've seen, is that 10 will be awesome.

Also, looking forward to server 10.

Both of these are running quite well in a VM. Looking forward to the new office, and exchange.

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I have to ask what part of Win 10 interests you.
    I have the feeling I will be forced to adopt it eventually, but so far the benefits do not compensate for the time it takes to learn the changes. I am an early adopter of things that are proven to be better.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well mostly windows finally gets virtual desktops, and the copy/paste in command line. The new start menu, eh, not a fan of. I prefer the start screen, I know this is a minority, but you can switch between the two. Better search functionality.

15. Earthling

Deleted

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  16. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

good article on virtual desktops
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-to-use-virtual-desktops-in-windows-10/
    Not any better than opening more windows for me, how is this better for you?
    I don't use virtual desktops on the Mac either.

Win 7 has paste in command line, right click and choose paste, up arrow repeats last command so it seems there is a nice little change.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197749/how-to-power-up-the-windows-10-command-prompt-with-ctrlc-and-ctrlv/

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Another thing would be the auto resize of the command window. Which is nice. Native FLAC and MKV.

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I only use powershell and chances are those resize changes will trickle down to other OSes for those who want them without upgrading.

19. Earthling

My first effort to install by upgrading an existing well populated 8.1 failed on several counts so I clean installed 32 bit to a VM from the iso. That's working remarkably well, even on VMware's recommended 1GB RAM. Amazing.

But I find it all a bit depressing - it's just more of the same old same old. Left to Microsoft, Apple and Google too, it seems we will be stuck with keyboards, mice, usernames, passwords and touchscreens and so on for evermore :zzz We have the brains and we have the technology so when am I going to be offered a computer that mostly interacts with me the same way people do - by vision and sound primarily? Even my modest Nokia Lumia is happy to take limited verbal instruction, such as 'call the wife', but if I want to send someone an email or letter it's typing and spellchecking all the way. Why the hell can't I just open Word with a verbal command and dictate what I want to say? Even Win 98 supported voice software - why has it not been more fully developed and applied? If such computers could be made and widely adopted then the server world would also have to shake itself out of the dreadful rut we are in and MG would simply greet me with Hi Bernard when I appeared, and log me in safely and simply.

When I went business school many moons ago the basic lesson was to replace your obsolete products before someone else does it for you. But I guess the sheer scale of and investment in the internet and everything related to it pretty well guarantees that the revolution I dream of is just that - a dream.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

I've been slowly migrating to only powershell, since it is much more powerful. Liking the preview of powershell 5 with oneget.

I've been to a week long powershell class recently, to get a foot in the door.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We've started writing console apps as PS scripts instead. Saves on compile time when changing something.

22. theefool

theefool Geekified

We are moving to office 365 soon, and one co-worker is okay with doing most of the work in powershell. The other three, we will look into writing scripts to help them out.

Also, had the infamous fax spam came in today. Quickly fixed it by:

Get-mailbox | Search-mailbox -searchquery 'subject:"blah"' - deletecontent

Though, three users did open up the .exe. Got that resolved quite quickly.

23. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Windows 10 is starting to take shape just seen the briefing of it and it certainly looks promising I cant wait for the final release and another good thing it's free for us win 7 to 8.1 users as it will come as a update for win 7 and through app store on 8 and 8.1

Really pleased so far. :) thumbs up to Microsoft

24. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You think?

In running it for months its not great in the current Tech Preview stage, the Consumer Preview maybe better, but as it currently stands I will not be going Windows 10 rather stay with 8.1 or 7

Icons are a mess, so fudged up and inconsistent its laughable, minor issue but a PITA one for me.

Slow as sin, and on an i7 to boot compared to 8.1, maybe the data collection and rough code but still alpha 7 and 8 where better.

if you upgrade as the news states on final Win 10 in the future then I hope they have sorted DRM out with Xbox music as mines fubared and no way I can see to fix it as the online fixes are not for Win 10!!!

Its back-end is as I can see no different to Windows 8.1!

Only thing changes is the Start Menu, addition of Cortana (that I like) and Spartan, granted the release I'm using like most is not final but I hope MSFT pick up there game or this will be just Win 8.1 with Cortana, a new browser and Start menu, and nothing else.

That said I will always give an OS a go and honest go as its on a production netbook of mine at present, dont want to subject my Surface to this hurt :major

25. Earthling

I took a look at it for a couple of hours and, apart from the Start menu, couldn't see anything significantly different from 8.1, which I do like. So uninspired I haven't even felt like looking at it since. Cortana I would like on my phone but it hasn't yet been released for my Nokia 630. Do I want it on my PC or laptop? Not really. :(

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What you are looking at right now is just barely out of alpha. There is a new build out right now that should be quite a bit different.

27. DavidGP

I hope the Consumer Preview is better than the alpha as currently its pants! what has been said seems great but give it to us to test and we will decide.

28. kench

kench Private First Class

29. DavidGP

Yeah want this on my 920, sister has it already on her 735 and seems to work much bette than I used Siri on my iPhone

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah I had to go back to 8.1 because it was affecting my ability to use certain OS functions for my developed apps.

31. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you used it on your main computers? Why? Just use VM's. Test first, before production. IMHO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds