Windows 8 crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by 468959, Jan 25, 2015.

1. 468959

468959 Private E-2

My windows 8 crashed with blue screen ofdeath. It only boots from usb, and does not have a cdrom drive. I put win8 from an iso I had made before the crash on a USB from instructions found on google where I downloaded a file called rufus.

After playing with the BIOS settings, the USB was able to install win8 but not completely. I got a message saying a couple of files were missing from my WIN8 installation USB so installation could not be completed. .......

Subsequently I am getting the error message saying:

"""An o/s wasn't found. try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system . Press any key to restart........

Pressed a key...........

Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot
    device and press a key..... """

Does this mean the BIOS boot sequence has changed so that my USB is not recognized? How did that happen? Otherwise what went wrong? I tried putting gparted on USB and it wont boot either.

Win8 bios settings are very complicated and I dont understand it. There is one option "USB Support" and I have selected "Full enabled"

Most obliged for any suggestions:major

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

FYI, Windows 8 does not have BIOS settings. That's motherboard specific. Since you played around in the BIOS and it sounds like you shouldn't be, try resetting the BIOS to factory settings. It's in the same area where you save or exit, usually last to the far right somewhere. Then check boot order. Typically, default boot order is DVD Drive, Hard Drive, everything else.

3. 468959

468959 Private E-2

error

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. 468959

468959 Private E-2

Dear JoeRay12;

Its a laptop, Its advent and about 10". It was bought in 2013. It had no DVD when it came, but had preinstalled Windows8 but no certified sticker with product key. I am not sure if it had a recovery partition. I think there was only one partition. Tnx

5. 468959

468959 Private E-2

Dear Major Attitude;

Thanks but it looks like I get something very similar to BIOS settings when I press F2 before it starts up. I guess its called something else not BIOS. It does not have factory settings as one of the options. It has win8 mode and legacy as one of several options on the boot sequence page. Win8 mode did not let it boot from USB. Legacy, along with some other additional settings caused it to boot from USB. Right now I can only use USB. Its rather confusing.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

What MA meant was that the BIOS is not part of Windows. It's a chip on the main board which sets up your hardware on power up before Windows starts, and there is no access to BIOS settings once in Windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds