Upgrading CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billm, Aug 7, 2005.

1. billm

billm Private E-2

I have an ECS P4S5A MB with a P4 1.5GHZ chip. The MB supports up to 400 MHZ FSB.....

I just want to install a new P4 3.0 chip and not have to change anything else. Will a 3.0 800FSB chip work in this MB? What about the chips labeled 533/400?

I'm thinking it will work, just not up to its maximum potential.... What can I expect if I try this?

Thanks

2. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Only use the range of cpu that are supprted by the mobo, go to the manufacture's site and check.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

its will support these only....

found by entering your mobo details here
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Support/CPU_Support.aspx?DetailID=37&MenuID=48&LanID=9

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If thats all the mobo will support,I dont think the upgrade is worth the money,you wont see much performance increase at all.

5. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

agreed, go for the OverClock instead

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

save your pennies for an AMD64 system :D

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A 2.2ghz wouldnt be too bad an upgrade if you didnt want to splash out on new mobo, cpu and memory.

only seems to be OEM available ( quick search by me only ) at around $118
    http://majorgeeks.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=540383

also how much Ram and what type do you have as adding more ram and a cpu of that speed above could speed up things a bit.

8. billm

billm Private E-2

Thanks for all the info, guess I was wrong.

I decided to get the P4 3.0 for $181 and change the MB. Ordered an ASUS P4P800E Deluxe for $115, I already have this board in another PC and it works well.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds