Looking for easy & free word processing program

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammawNewbie, Jan 9, 2007.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

My computer suddenly won't read any Word docs. I have struggled on by using WordPad, but it won't let me put page numbers, etc. on things. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Word, but it still freezes up, so I was wondering if there is another word processing application that would have some of the useful things - like page numbers and "Track Changes" - without needing a bunch of bells and whistles. My Dell came loaded with WordPerfect, but honestly I'm too slow-brained to use it well (that's why last year I took my old Word disc from the defunct puter and installed it on my new laptop, and it worked great until recently).

Does anybody know of an application that would let me open and critique people's Word docs and compose my own?

2. red_devil52

red_devil52 Private E-2

3. GrammawNewbie

Downloaded and test drove it ... how wonderful! As Miss Piggy would say, "Thank you for helping moi - kissy-kissy!" My writers' group will be indebted to you forevermore!

4. red_devil52

red_devil52 Private E-2

No problem :D

5. GrammawNewbie

Oh, dearie, dearie, me -- now Open Office is hanging. When I try to start the Writing program it says it's trying to recover a document. The only way I can get it to close is Ctr+Alt+Del and then End program.

Anybody know what I did to make this fine application quiver in fear the first day I used it? I run AVG Free and use Zone Alarm firewall and run spybot and spyware blaster and ccleaner and probably some other stuff I've forgotten, so I am *hoping* this is not virus-related.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No cancel button on the recovering document ....is there a document that you started and the system or program ended before it was saved?

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

First you will have to enable show all hidden files, to do this in any folder click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and check the Show all Hidden Files and Folders then Navigate to the location below and delete the file named in bold

C:\documents and settings\[yourusername]\application data\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice\Office\Recovery.xcu

Seems you just have a corrupted recovery file stuck, once deleted and on reboot of your PC a new one will be re-created if in the event a document needs recovering.

and to re-hide the files and folders, retrace Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and this time check Dont show Hidden files and folders

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds