VPN and Printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seaweed, Jul 21, 2003.

1. seaweed

seaweed Private E-2

When I connect to a remote site using VPN. Between two W2K machines, one server the other a work station. The Server reports in the event log that a printer job from the workstation failed. No printers or printing has been configured or used between the two systems. Event ids 9,8,4 and 2 are seen.

Any suggestions why this is happening and how to prevent it.

thanks

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

When you have connected to the remote network using VPN, do you then create a terminal service connection to control the server ?

If so then it might be caused by the automatic redirection of printers feature in terminal services, that enabled printing of remote files on the local machine's printer.

One should be able to configure the client's terminal account on the server so redirection of the client's local printer is not performed. (other solution is installing the client's printer driver on the server)

Btw. this is just me guessing as I have little experience in VPN and terminal services.

3. seaweed

seaweed Private E-2

Snakefoot, Your assumption is correct about TS. I agree with your analysis. I was looking from the client side which has a printer enable option. The trouble with TS and servers is that you are so restricted in what you can do.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds