Windows cannot find rundll.exe at the time of windows login

Discussion in 'Software' started by ram_cse, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ram_cse

ram_cse Private E-2

Hi All,

At the time windows login one popup message is appear like "windows cannot find rundll.exe".

I dont know why this popup is coming.

Using HijackThis.exe i scanned the system.

I have attached the error message and scan report log file.

please help me how to resolve this problem.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

This is not a malware problem and as such I will be moving to the Software Forum for continued support.

You are missing a file that is part of Windows. You need to restore the file from either a copy of your PC (which you can search for) or from your CD. If Windows 2003 supports the System File Check command, you can run sfc /scannow from the Start, Run, box and it may be able to replace the file for you. It could also ask for your Windows 2003 CD if it cannot find a suitable copy on your PC.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

No! The message indicates that the file is missing. Thus the first things to do are to see if it is really missing and if so, it needs to be restored. This does not mean that malware could not be on the PC. There may well be malware and it could be trying to use rundll.exe to load DLLs, but the file still needs to be restored if missing.

5. Andreas Gauber

Andreas Gauber Private E-2

I totally disagree! This easily can be not a simply "Windows can;t find the file" issue but a malware DLL in your autorun list which is run by Rundll.exe and has corrupted path to it.

Use manual solution techniq descriwindows cannot find rundll.exe solutions summary page. Skip everything at the top of page -it is of no help, but pay attention to its bottom - there are several easy steps to follow there.

If I'm not right (not likely), use sfc.exe /scannow to recover rundll.exe from your Windows CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds