lsass.exe - System Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by arky41, Aug 10, 2006.

1. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

XP Home installed machine, AMD 1.8 processor, 80 GB HD, 512 MB mem - Had a lootseek infection in Thunderbird that I finally removed and then I could not boot in any mode. Machine would recycle. I could briefly see (flash) a bsod with writing before recycle.

Did a repair install and now I can get to the blue installation screen and installation freezes with an error message box: lsass.exe - System Erroe; An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Yep, did that and thats when it stopped booting and started cycling. At that point I decided it was time for a repair try, and thats when I got the lsass.exe error.

4. TimW

I think ( depending on whether it's isass or lsass - one is a sasser virus. forgot which one - think it's the isass.)

5. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

Yes, everything I found said the (i) and (L) were the ones to check. lsaaa.exe is where it should be and dated correctly.

I took the hard drive and slaved it in another machine and scaned it with everything I had before I tried a repair. Sure don't want to format and reinstall everything, but I'm about out of ideas. Thats why I posted here, hoping, hoping, hoping.........

6. TimW

One of the suggestions was to create a new partition on the drive and do a clean install on that partition .....then boot to that os and transfer what you need from the other partition and then wipe that boot choice and reformat that partition.

7. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

Like I said......I didn't want to do that. I will wait a few days since I don't have the time now as I'm off to run some errands and I work the next two days. Maybe someone will read the post and be able to suggest a fix other than copy and reformating. Thanks for the help.

8. onesweetypie

onesweetypie Private E-2

I have this same problem. Should I start my own thread?
    Can you boot into XP at all arky41? I can't whatsoever, not even safemode.
    Mine was saying the same thing as yours for awhile...

"Isass.exe -System Error
    An Invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".

Then a few weeks or a month later when I tried again it said this:
    "Isass.exe-System Error
    When Trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

9. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I could not find a way to fix it so I moved the hard drive to another PC as a secondary and copied all my needed files, then did a format and reinstalled my OS and have slowly been adding programs back.

I believe that you can also install a second copy of the OS or at least create another partition and install the OS on it.

Best of luck.

10. onesweetypie

onesweetypie Private E-2

It's quite alright. :cool:

Well..the problem occured on a laptop, would that make a difference?
    I should remove my hard drive and attempt to retrieve data then format?
    Is there a difference between reformatting and format?

How would you install a second copy of the OS?
    What is a partition and how would you create one?

I would like to point out that I'm computer illiterate. I'm sure you've noticed that already.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds