Wireless laptop won't connect.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrivatePile-sir, Apr 7, 2007.

1. PrivatePile-sir

PrivatePile-sir Private E-2

sony vaio laptop, running win xp pro. I'm having some propblems with the internet connection. The wireless connection see's my network, but will not connect to the internet. But when I connect with the local area connection, I get service. I have a Linksys wireless router. The router settings have been put into the config for the wireless settings for the laptop. I have changed the settings in IE. no connection. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this laptop to connect to the internet via the wireless connect?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I can't think of any settings in IE that would affect wireless connectivity. I usually find that I have to reboot my WAP in order for a new machine entered into its access control list to be reliably recognized.

3. PrivatePile-sir

such as turning the machine (wap) off for a few secs and turn back on? OR reset button.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

My (Netgear) WAP's setup screen has a "Reboot AP" button. Absent that, I would choose power-cycling over the reset button (which usually resets such devices to factory defaults).

5. PrivatePile-sir

Thanks TheDoug, rebooting the router helped. Everythings good.

6. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

if this happens again and rebooting the router doesnt help the try this you said that when you connect to your lan you get service, its just the internet wont connect, what do you mean you get service? you can share printers and access files on other pcs? if so the the wifi is clearly working fine, try the two following things in this order, go in to the settings of internet explorer, click, options, connections, lan settings and make sure the "detect proxy settings automaticly is ticked, if it isnt this will proberly fix it, if not then try plugging the laptop into the router with a cable, if the first fix doesnt work and the second one does, then there is a problem with your routers settings, the router may allow you to access the lan but not share the internet over wifi, or maybe nat (network address translation) is turned off? if it is turned off this will only allow one pc at a time to access the internet, ps, try switching to firefox, just better! :major i-CONICA :major

7. PrivatePile-sir

I have 4 other machines working off this router via wireless. They all worked fine. My brothers girlfriend came over and wanted to hook up to the wireless so she could do her school work.
    We did the usual:
    went into internet connections, properties for the wireless, and set the pass phrase, then went into the browsers to set it to auto connect, that didn't work, then I used the proxy settings for the isp, that didn't work, keep in mind that all the other machines are still working fine, so after some frustrating time, I finally broke down and submitted my forum here. The rebooting the router actually worked. But I had to reset all the comps, with new pass keys to get all systems to work.
    Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds