Cannot connect to internet without router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Graham3, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Graham3

Graham3 Private E-2

I am having the same problem, but even worse!

My PC will only attach to the inetrnet via a USB adaptor into the router, which keeps losing it's connection.

The Router is Belkin, my Broadband supplier is Virgin/NTL. OS is Windows XP

This is my ipconfig /all results.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Graham>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Graham>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-t0h5sfx7yt
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : EZ Connect USB to Dual Speed Etherne
    t Converter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-E2-4E-E6-DE
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 August 2007 20:48:08
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

I'd just like to get back to having a stable internet connection, via ethernet. Any suggestions?

2. janitor

janitor Private E-2

for Graham3:

have tried like clearing your cache and cookies?also check for firewalls and antiviruses that might block your connection.its a long shot but it helps. also try to check with your router manufacturer and isp so that we can isolate the problem.my bet is that it might be the router.jsut double check on the isp and router manufacturer

3. Graham3

Graham3 Private E-2

I'd be happy to go without the router (it's not used that often), and just connect through the cable modem, but I just can't figure out why I can't connect directly.

Could you give me any step by step guidance?

Much appreciated.

4. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

if you are unable to connect directly to your modem via an ethernet cable, i would think your ethernet card would be to blame. as a last resort directly connecting yourself to your modem should always provide you with internet. do you have onboard ethernet? (onboard being you dont have a pci ethernet card)

5. marzipanic

marzipanic Private E-2

We are on NTL/Virgin broadband. We have been knocked off the router and unable to connect for a period longer than an hour or so. Virgin is throttling our router, they have changed the acceptable use policy and even though we pay for the top *Unlimited* downloads it has now changed to be not unlimited. It still says it (if you look at your agreement) but if you check out the little "†" you will see the change.

I will post the links (but in a non-link format for board security) for it here:

www[insert dot here]theregister.co.uk/2007/05/08/vigin_nationwide_throttling/

allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html

allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

It may be that and no, we have not exceeded the download limit but we are still being throttled [Our error messages are IP SEC and denial of renewal of an IP address from the DHCP] . We are ringing them tomorrow as it is only supposed to be the top 5% heavy users that experience such throttling. A quick google search will show you it's a hell of a lot more!

Just to add, this is only a UK (Nationwide) problem. All Torrent places over here are not happy bunnies about it as if my son even opens his torrent app we just get booted off / throttled.

It may or not be the cause, and some of us can connect when the others can't and vice versa. I thought our router was possessed for a while until I found out the ISP thing!

----
    Edit by me: Just realized this may not apply as out hardwired pc is having better luck than our wireless ones (only just though) but will leave the post as we (and many) do not know of this new NTL/Virgin problem and many have been worried / thought they had done something wrong. We didn't until we read the teeny tiny weeny small print on out bill and online!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds