cost effective mobile internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sirius60, Oct 19, 2006.

1. sirius60

sirius60 Private E-2

:confused: I'm not even sure how to ask for what I want so that's I good starting point eh?
    I want to have about six laptops that I can take out to venues where older people naturally meet. These places are not necessarily going to have internet access but I want to teach the those in the class how to sign up for email, do internet shopping, pay bills. Show them that they aren't passed jumping on the internet and getting loads out of it....etc
    They don't live in an urban centre but we aren't quite out in the sticks either, just on the border I'd say.
    I've just been reading about data cards, I didn't even know they existed, so we want a technology that would be relatively easy to use...for the trainers to get everything up and running before the workshops....and something that's cost effective for use with the six laptops.
    We will be running this project over about seven months and expect to be using the some of the laptops for at least five or six hours a week.
    Can some kind soul please point me in the direction for what I need to be looking at I would be most grateful.
    Thanks
    sirius

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Actually, what about a server that they all can connect to, that would have the one card for Cellular? Or if you can afford it, Cellular cards for all of them.

3. sirius60

sirius60 Private E-2

Hi Brownizs

Yea got to that after hours of searching...going down dead ends etc. The internet is a wonderful thing there is so much information on it but sometimes you really need to understand how to ask the question before you can find the answer.
    So that's what i found eventually a 3G wireless router that you just plug the data card into. So it's all costed up and the request for the money will go in tomorrow and then it's fingers crossed for a couple of weeks and lots of practicing how to set up a wireless network.
    Thanks for the suggestion and good night :) or should i say good morning :)

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Also, to keep the network stuff nice and neat, you may want to look into something like a SKB road case that you can put the hardware into and be able to set it up, then maybe have a case for the laptops to secure into foam, so you do not have to carry individual bags.

5. sirius60

sirius60 Private E-2

Thanxs Browniz..I'll bear that in mind :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds