XP Hangs

Discussion in 'Software' started by tls1, Jun 30, 2003.

1. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

Me again! Ok, I have just completed installing (no additional apps installed yet) XP and I am able to login to Windows. But I when I start navigating thru the Start menu, the computer hangs. I tried setting the default "safe" values in the BIOS but the problem persists. I tried changing the Memory, problem persists. It's a new PS and a new HD.
    It's a GA-6VXC7-4X-P, with a P3 1GHz, WD 80GB, PCI video.

Thanks for any help!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

What type and size?

4. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

It seems to work fine in safe mode.

HD Is a WD 80 GIG ATA100
    PS is a TigerPro 300W
    1 x 256 MB RAM stick
    1 x S3 Virge PCI video
    sloppy and cdrom

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it hard lock, or is it kind of a "soft" hang, you can eventaully recover.

6. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

The keyboard and mouse stop responding and it maintains the image on the screen...frozen.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, try this.

Go into Device Manager, disable you video card, sound card, network card, any modems, unhook peripherals, any nonessential device.

Can you narrow down what is causing the issue?

8. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

Well, I have already removed the sound card and ethernet card. I will try disabling as much as I can...brb

I disabled the Serial and parallel ports, and the USB in the BIOS, but it still hangs.

Next is the device manager. I disabled the floppy and cdrom. I did not disable the video card, because it said it would stop working, I didn't think this was a good thing. I also disabled the ethernet and all those miniport items. Let's see what happens...still hangs

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Definately disable the video card. Trust me on this, you will have video after.

Then if that doesnt work go to start-run, msconfig.

Choose, diagnostic startup.

Reboot. If that still doesn't work, I reccomend one or two things:

1. BIOS update.
    2. Reinstall XP with a standard HAL. Boot to XP CD, press F5 when it says F6 and choose standard PC option. Then install XP normally.

10. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

Ok...booting into safe mode now to disable the video, then reboot into normal mode to test...brb

I think you got it! Its running quite nicely now with the vdeo disabled. Of course this is VGA mode....ouch. Its a S3 Virge video card...old but acceptable for word processing and internet. I also have a PCI trident 8900. I guess that's my next experiment....before I go to the store to get an AGP video card.....

Thanks again Adrynalyne!

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you may want to disable all the groovie menu actions and shadows and stuff. It might not be able to handle it all.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad to help out :)

You still have high color and resolution support with the UGA drive, just keep in mind things are going to be a bit slower--no hardware accelleration.

Older video cards don't really fare well in XP with the in box drivers. UGA driver works in most cases, however.

13. tls1

tls1 Private E-2

Well, the trident seems to be behaving at 800 x 600. I'm re-enabling everything to see....thanks all!

We'll we're up 'n runn'ng...Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds