Faulty Bios??

Discussion in 'Software' started by gingerninja, Jun 1, 2007.

1. gingerninja

gingerninja Private E-2

This thread has been posted in the hardware forum too because I'm unsure if this is a hardware or software issue. I basically can't boot up my PC or even get to the bios setup stage!!

I have been running WinXP Pro on a 2.1GHz Athlon machine with an Asus MOBO with AMI Bios and 1.5GB of RAM.

I have recently decided to perform a total Hard Drive format and complete OS reinstall because of hardware interupt issues on my PC which were causing software to run slowly and 100% CPU usage.

The problem started when the XP CD was not recognised on boot up. I accessed the bios to change the boot sequence but on re-booting the CdROM was still not found. I read online of a microsoft knowledge base 310994 (or something) which provided 6 floppy disks to enable cdrom drivers to load at boot up. I therefore went to change the bios sequence to recognise floppy first but had the idea to restore bios defaults while i was there. I saved, exited and tried to reboot.

The problem now is that the PC will not boot up at all. The fans start up and the base unit lights come on but the monitor is not activated and there is no beep as is usually heard upon boot up.

I didn't get to make the 6 microsoft disks so i've not tried to boot up with them insserted. But I question whether the system would even recognise they are there since there is no boot up anyway.

Is the BIOS ruined? Can it be repaired? Do I need a new motherboard? Can anyone help? Am I an idiot??

Please Help

GingerNinja

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds