XP wont boot hardware diaognostics gave me an error code

Discussion in 'Software' started by R1ddle, May 10, 2010.

1. R1ddle

R1ddle Private E-2

I am working on a computer for a lady who told me she had the computer freeze up and gave her an error message. she then done a hard shut down. I tried to boot it and it halts booting because of an error. I ran hardware Diagnostics and it came up with the error code 4c00:021d, and the message the seconds register is not updating. it is a dell computer and it will not boot safe mode, last known good config, or anything. it tries to boot, and brings up the wind xp screen then goes blank and wont do anything. I thank you for your help. I hope to get this fixed without losing data if possible, although it is backed up if i need to wipe it to fix it.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Is this the error that was given?
    If so, a possible solution could be a new cmos battery. The common battery type is: CR2032. The problem could also be a bad mother board.

3. R1ddle

R1ddle Private E-2

yes that was the message. how do I check the cmos battery, and/or the motherboard. And where can I get a replacement if they are nonfunctional?

4. plastidust

If the computer is relatively old I would just replace the battery('cause I'm not sure how to test it). Just go to a local electronics store heck maybe even some place like ACE Hardware or a jeweler. For the mother board you would need to go some place like Newegg.com. Or Dell.

5. R1ddle

R1ddle Private E-2

Ok Thanks I will give it a try and see what happens, ill let you know how it turns out.

6. R1ddle

R1ddle Private E-2

Hey just wanted to give you the fill in, tried what you said fixed the problem, and good to go thanks a million

7. plastidust

Hi R1ddle

Good to hear you've got it working again. Hope the battery option is what did the trick.

8. R1ddle

R1ddle Private E-2

yep that fixed it booted up right away.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds