Dell Dimension 8300 sound problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, Sep 25, 2008.

1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

I was trying to update my sound driver (I think). It didn't need updating. I had some other things going on and next thing I know, my Dell Dimension 8300 running XP shut down to prevent a serious error. After trying to restart the computer a few times, I finally got it running and it told me that it had just recovered from a serious error. My computer is working OK, but now I do not have any sound. Is there something I can run to "fix sound problem" or do you have any advice as to what I can do to find and fix the problem? Thanks

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. thai_american_42

Hi musksnipe,

I did not install the Chipset utility or the ADI audio since I do not know whether I have an audio upgrade. Please let me know how to determine whether I have an audio upgrade.

I did run the Dell Support Center checkup, which found no problems. At the dell website, it recommended that I download and install

Audio: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (D), v.RC1, A00 (2 MB)
    Removable Storage: NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD+R/2.4X DVD+RW, v.10GE, A04 (853 KB)
    Video: ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 , v.7.86-030330a-008623E, A06 (18 MB)

I installed the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy and the Removable Storage, but the Video ATI failed Microsoft's logo test (what ever that is), so I did not install the video.

I still have the same sound problem, so please let me know how to determine whether I have an audio upgrade. Thanks.

4. thai_american_42

I just installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility and received the message (which I followed):

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Intel®Chipset Software Installation Utility installs to the target system the Windows* INF files that outline to the operating system how the chipset components will be configured. This is needed for the proper functioning of the following features:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services

- AGP Support

- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support

- USB Support

- Identification of Intel Chipset Components in Device Manager

IMPORTANT NOTE:( Win XP users) When you select 'Install Now', you may be given the following four choices - Save, Open, Cancel,More info. You MUST select 'Open' for the installation to work.

IMPORTANT NOTE:(Other OSes) When you select 'Install Now', you may be given the choice of running this program from its current location, or saving this program to disk. You MUST select 'run this program from its current location' for the installation to work.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What is your Device Manager showing in Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?
    Is there any ? or ! showing?
    Did you install the audio before the chipset?
    If you did, re-try installing the audio.

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

6. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

Not trying to chime in like I know a whole lot but saw that you had questions about your video drivers.. here a link from ATI-AMD for your drivers.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/aiwradeonxip-xp.html

From what I see you have a couple of choices.
    1. Uninstall your current driver through the add and remove programs
    and eliminate all program files associated with it on your computer then
    clean your registry and temporary files. Leaving only the bare bones windows drivers so that you can still see what your doing. and reinstall the hardware. or
    2. install Directly and hope that it changes the driver for you.

As for your sound card I would suggest going to creatives web site
    http://support.creative.com/Product...e=Audigy&prodID=10653&prodName=Audigy+2+Value
    There are two there 1 for xp and the other for vista. This should help.

I have a dell Dimension 5100. with an ATI RAdeon 300. which I installed the drivers for It's nice being able to watch movies directly off the computer. Albeit i really need to upgrade to an hd tv,
    and manged to get the 7.1 surround to work on the mb Took some finagling but it worked. however it was not available for my chipset according to sigmatel.

sincerely
    White

Knowledge ceases to become wisdom when one lacks the tools or means to understand what one learns.

7. thai_american_42

Hi whiterican74. Thanks for responding. My video is slightly messed up, but I'll try to fix the audio first.

Hi musksnipe,

Q."What is your Device Manager showing in Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?Is there any ? or ! showing?"
    A. I don't know. I could not find my Device Manager. Would you please provide a link or a likely location on my computer. Thanks.

Q. "Did you install the audio before the chipset?"
    A. I only installed the chipset (which was already on my computer, I think). I did not install the ADI audio since I do not know whether I have an audio upgrade.

Q. "Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment."
    A. I upload the report as an attachment.

Attached Files:

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thanks for the report. :)
    This is your audio:
    Creative EMU10K2 Audigy / Audigy 2 Audio Processor
    http://support.dell.com/Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (D)

It is the upgraded sound option for your Dell.
    If you don't have sound after the driver install, you will need to check your BIOS.

Check: BIOS to insure SoundBlaster is enabled.
    As the PC starts, press one of these keys, (Before Windows starts)
    (here is a list by manufacturer)http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    I believe most Dells are F2.
    Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced or in Integrated Peripherals)
    Make sure sound is set correctly, when finished. For an add-on Sound Card (Disabled) This is how you want it set for a PCI sound card (SoundBlaster)

Edit:
    Device Manager
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.

9. thai_american_42

1. I installed http://support.dell.com/Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (D) and then rebooted. Sound still not working.

2. F2 BIOS. I found the sound feature in the Integreated Peropherals BIOS. It was set to off and I turned it on. (I found the numbers lock on and turned it off, ending a year old mystery as to why my numbers lock light kept coming on when I booted up).

3. After rebooting, the Found New Hardware Wizard came up. I inserted several disks that came with the computer, (including Sound Blaster Audigy 2), and none had the Multimedia Audio Controller that the wizard was looking for.

4. I did not see an ad-on Sound Card (Disabled)

5. From the Device Manager

5A. Display adaptors, there is a red x through the image in front of
    128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800
    128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 sec

5B. "Other devices" folder has a yellow question mark and there is an exclaimation point ! next to Multimedia Audio Controller

5C. In the six sub files for Sound, video and game controllers, (Audio Codecs, Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM), Legacy Audio Drvers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs) there are grey speaker symbols, none of which have either a ? or a ! through the image.

6. On reading your "For an add-on SOund Card (Disabled)" note, I think you meant that BIOS, Integreated Peropherals, Sound should be set to "Off". I F2 rebooted and set BIOS, Integreated Peropherals, Sound to off.

7. I used the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 installation disk and selected "repair" both Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Creative Media Source.

8. I rebooted and the sound now works! "Other devices" folder is now gone. However, Device Manager, Display adaptors, there is a red x through the image in front of 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 and 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 sec.

9. OK, would you mind helping me fix my dispaly. It seems very sluggish. For example, when I move the slider bar up and down, the image is wavy whereas before, it was quick responding and more real time. I have all my original disks that came with the computer, but am not sure which is for the display.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sorry about confusing you. I've had sinus problems for a couple of days and what seems clear at this end must not be too clear out there. :(

This should be your Video driver:
    ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro

I would uninstall both the ATI drivers, in Device manager, in the Display section, install this one, and restart your PC.
    I'm not sure that will solve your sluggishness. We'll see what happens after the install.
    It may be more of a browser or performance setting.

11. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Re: post #3:
    Ignore the 'logo testing' or whatever it is, and install the drivers.

Re: post #4:
    Follow the instructions for Win XP users to install the driver. What you're seeing is not a warning. It is instructions.

Re: post #9, item #9:
    Installing the video driver will most likely solve this problem.

13. thai_american_42

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

thai_american_42, you're welcome.
    We know how frustrating a PC that that won't do what you want it to do, can be.
    Glad you're back in shape again. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds