hard drive light stays off while hard drive runs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Majin Joku, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

This is a little different i guess but i got my laptop back from dell today all repaired from a fried motherboard. The problem i am experiencing is i removed my hard drive b4 i shipped it and after i reinstalled it, it works fine and loads and operates HOWEVER the HD Light next to the power, battery and wifi lights doesn't light up at all. and when i boot up the machine after the bios run and it does its POST before the OS loads, RAID kicks in detecting my hard drive then runs off it.

any idea how to get the light back on and for my hard drive to be detected properly???

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1721 has an AMD Athlon X2 64 bit processor, 3 gigs of ram, vista home premium

2. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

K, update on the situation. for a while the light on the hard drive came back on and worked normally, however when i got up this morning, the light wasn't flashing blinking or running. My SATA hard drive still operates boots up and runs, but it doesn't trigger the led light on it. any thoughts on this i could really use some insight

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This may be a dodgy connection made between the mobo and the LED. I would contact Dell and get them to repair it for you for free, as they broke it.

4. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I gotta ask, is it really worth getting fixed?

Its a blinky light that makes absolutely no difference to the way your system operates, its not like you have to wait for it to stop flashing before you turn your notebook off do anything else its just an indicator. Personally I cant tell you the last time I paid any attention to anything other than the power led on my notebook.

By all means raise a ticket with Dell in case its a symptom of something else but do you really wanna send your laptop away for repair just cos an LED doesn't work properly? Everything else seems to be working fine from your description.

Don't be surprised if they turn around and claim that it is a result of you removing the drive in the first place, who know's it might be.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

hankyknot, since this problem is from April, I think the OP has made his decision in the 3 months that have elapsed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds