Laptop won't connect to wireless?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gisman, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gisman

gisman Private E-2

Hi there

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop running Win Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit.

My parents have a Dynalink RTA1025W router, unsecured as they are miles away from another house. The laptop gets wireless internet just fine at their house.

At a friends house, I can get wireless just fine. They have a secured network.

At my house, with an RTA 1025W router (ie same as my parents) I have set the router up with 64 bit WEP security, shared key authentication, and a 5-digit ascii encryption key. But, you guessed it, I cant connect to the wireless. I can see it in the available networks, but I can't connect. All other laptops in my house connect to the wireless fine.

So - summary, the only problem is my laptop at my house. My laptop connects to other wireless networks, other laptops connect to my wireless network.

What really puzzles me is that it does not ask for an encryption key, and the wireless network often says it is unsecured.

Where should I start, what settings should I check? I am completely baffled with this one. This network cable is irritating!

Cheers, Ken

2. MR.T

MR.T Private E-2

OK so first you need to make sure your running you router of a desktop computer (dont ask me why but they like to be connected to a main source), then you need to have all ur disks loaded onto the computer what eva.
    If you have done that already then you need to make sure in your IPv4 settings in the properties that you have your "obtain ip address automatically" ticked.
    If you have done all that then let me no.

3. amq

amq Private E-2

I had a similarly baffling experience. I wont go into detail but had same issues with being able to see a wireless router but not connect properly through it to the internet.
    Turned out to be a very specific compatibility problem with the router and the wireless network card in my laptop. It was fixed with an upgrade to the router firmware. So i'd check firmware versions first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds