Compaq Presario help.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SammaeL, Oct 20, 2005.

1. SammaeL

SammaeL Private E-2

I have an older Compaq Presario 7478 that was given to me by my mother.It's been through Hell.I'd like to do a complete system restore on it but she no longer has the original discs and tracking down alternates been a dead end so far.

My question is,could I wipe the entire harddrive and just install Windows 98,the original operating system or do I need the original Compaq discs?

I just want this computer for internet access,pics,and vids.Thanks for any help.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

3. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I have had mixed results when I have installed Win 98, for lack of the appropriate "Recovery Disc", for a particular model of computer. Win 98 usually doesn't have all of the drivers you will need and sometimes it can be a real bugger to find them.

Just recently I ran into a problem with a Compaq Presario 5190. The HP/Compaq website did not have the correct drivers for the original modem that came in the computer. For the modem to work it also needed something called a rockwell pci modem enumerator. I spent way too many hours on that thing.

To be on the safe side, I will swap out the original hard drive with a spare of my own. Then install Win 98 and verify that I have or can find all drivers that are required. If all goes well, then it should be safe to wipe out the original HD and start from scratch.

Good luck
    Doug

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

5. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

Thanks for the help brownizs. Generally, I've had pretty good luck with the HP/Compaq driver downloads.

I had previously tried the modem drivers from the link you suggested. The drivers were for a similiar modem but did not work. I know the modem is the original factory installed part. The "tamper seal" was still intact on the case.

I think I have found what I need but haven't had a chance to try them. Working on this computer has been mostly an academic exercise anyway. The computer worked OK, just too slow. I though maybe a fresh install would speed thing up.

Sorry this has drifted from the original posting.

Doug

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It could be that you are used to working with a faster computer, and going back to a slower machine defintely will show. You can start by upgrading the hard drive to a faster unit, along with bringing the memory up to the max of 512mb, which will help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds